Regional to Fractional Advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DrewBlows said:
Why is that? Do you think I will have a harder time getting on with a larger fractional if I go to a small one first? Is the regional time as good as time at a small fractional (I would certainly accrue it faster where I'm at).

There's two, Comair was dragged into bankruptcy with Delta. I'm more than a little concerned with the flight attendent situation here, but am hesitant to jump ship unless I consider it a move up. I'm trying to figure out if this will be a move up or not.

Of course timing is an issue as well, I'd like to take a peek a year into the future and see what it brings, but I was not blessed with that ability. Chances are Comair will stay in business, but not grow at all, which means no upgrade for a long time. That's fine if I were able to get on with some place better having no PIC time. So is Northern Jet Management better than Comair? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers.

I take it that he is saying that you should apply directly to NJA, CS, Flexjet and Avantair if you meet their minimums. Big point: don't take a side step if you don't need to. I think a bunch of Indy pilots who had little to no PIC time were picked up by the fractionals. CS probably has the best domicile options if that is a big deal for you. Good luck!

DBlows stay where you are. Build time get the mins then apply at one of the fracs. Your looking at problems at a small frac w/out deep pockets. Infact apply now, keep the resumes coming. CS, NJA FLEX.

Last edited:
You mentioned your concern that you would not build time as fast at Northern Jet as you would at Comair.

Are you looking at making a career at the fractionals? Or is it just another stepping stone for you.

Either way leaving Comair would be a smart move, but I just wonder what is an acceptable "career position" to you.

send your resume to everybody and go talk to them all

Avantair is a fun place to work and the Quality of Life is getting better, more places to live and more pay and time off - and the plane is cool and there are rumors (always) of a JET
they are hiring into the right seat only and looking for high speed/high time

good luck

BenderGonzales said:
Are you looking at making a career at the fractionals? Or is it just another stepping stone for you.

If I moved it would be because it is a career move not because it's a "stepping stone". The problem is that I don't know if it's a stepping stone job or not, I'm just not in tune enough with the small fractional business and don't know enough about this company to know if it's a career position or not (I suspect my picture will be much more clear after the interview).

As far as building time...

At this point in my career I have been hired by three companies. All three got smaller after hiring me, one went out of business (I never even started class there), one is in bankruptcy and furloughed me (and still may go out of business), and I've never been off of first year pay. So no matter what I do, I would like to continue to accrue time to hedge my bet. Then I have to ask myself, is it better for my career to build time at a faster rate or to go to a local business jet operator (career position?)?

When I decided to go to Comair I did it because it could be a career position. The flying was interesting and fun, the pay was good, you could make a reasonable living as a first officer, and there was a pension plan. Now all but the flying is gone. So you can see why I might be a bit apprehensive about changeing jobs at this point in my life (fortunately I'm still fairly young, but I would still like to make the right decision).

with that kind of record I'm not sure I want to work at the same company!

just kidding

if you have time go hang out at one of the bigger FBOs and talk to pilots, each Frac has ups and downs, but I don't think of Avantair as a stepping stone or a time builder - just a good job

wmudriver said:
The word on the street is Northern Jet isn't really a career place, it is a stepping stone as guys move onto other places like Alcore (sp?) and other corporate gigs.

Thank you, this is the kind of information that can be useful. Any details? Are guys actually moving to other corporate gigs? I kind of had a hunch that might be the case. My thought was that it would be easier getting into a sweet corporate gig from a corporate stepping stone (not saying that's what Northern Jet is, I don't know) rather than a regional. I don't know if that's true or not, that's why I started this thread.

DrewBlows said:
Thank you, this is the kind of information that can be useful. Any details? Are guys actually moving to other corporate gigs? I kind of had a hunch that might be the case. My thought was that it would be easier getting into a sweet corporate gig from a corporate stepping stone (not saying that's what Northern Jet is, I don't know) rather than a regional. I don't know if that's true or not, that's why I started this thread.

Just apply to Netjets and call it a day... Good luck!

Latest resources

Back