Regional selection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjdreamer

First, let me say that I do not want to start a flame thread, I am only searching for advice. Thanks!
Now the ?. Which regional would you guys and gals recommend to aim for and why? I'll probably retire from wherever I start at due to my age upon finishing up everything and becoming hireable around the middle/latter part of next year.
Thanks to all who respond and should you desire to contact me directly, feel free to: [email protected].

Start by crossing Continental Express off your list. Since they still have hundreds on furlough, it's not likely they'll be interviewing any time soon. At your age, I'd choose an airline with a well funded retirement package. I'd also choose one that will least likely cause you to have to up-root and move accross the country. Commuting while on reserve is one of the least desireable parts of an airline job (besides being furloughed). I'd choose an airline with lots of jets, with plans for bigger jets. I'd also choose an airline whose pilots are represented by the Airline Pilots Associaton. Comair, ASA, and ACA seem like good choices. Someone please tell me otherwise.

As far as quality of life, AE is among the best. Great bases (esp. if you like the east) and decent schedules. And, the pay isn't too bad for now.

The only thing they have running against them is that rediculous 16-year contract. While they are still under that contract, they won't be able to catch up with the other regionals pay-wise.

But, if you're not looking to be "in-the-money," I have heard from many that AE is a great place to be. And they definitely have a promising future I would say.

Also, AE most likeley has the most senior group of pilots among all of the regionals. But, they too are in the furlough situation like CoEx, so they may not be hiring by the time you are looking. But, I think the light at the end of the tunnel is brighter at AE than at CoEx.

This is just my personal opinion. I know people who are not happy at AE, so it's not for everyone. Really, you need to evaluate what kind of lifestyle you are looking for and choose based on that.

No regional "has it all." Some have great pay but sh*tty bases, or bad schedules and good bases, or horrible pay and great everything-else. So definitely look at the "whole pie" when you decide, esp. since you plan to stay a while.

boscenter,

Do you work for Eagle? There is no way could be working AS A PILOT for Eagle, unless you've been drinking too much Kool-Aid...

Quality of life...I remember having ten days off a month after 18 month's seniority, an upgrade that would take four years, being junior manned on my days off, having to commute across country, being paid 18K a year...yeah, quality of life...

Decent schedules? Sititng ready reserve at the airport 20 days a month - don't think so. CDOs - don't think so.

Add your .02 worth here, Eaglets...I left a year ago, maybe it's gotten better (yeah right...

Like I said, there are those who don't care for it... but by AE standards, 18 months seniority isn't much...

True...a good friend of mine that was hired there in early 1999 is still an FO and doesn't see any opportunity for upgrade in sight, as there are no more upgrades into the turboprops. Captain is the jet was at 8 years when I was there...but eight years seniority is nothing by Eagle standards.

Air Wisconsin

I don't want to sound like a recruiter, and I am biased but I was in your exact same position, looking for a regional that would afford me a good lifestyle if i wasn't able to get to the majors.

Unlike most of the other top shelf regionals Air Willy hasn't had its big growth spurt, it is going through it right now.
I know everything hinges on big brother, and that 9/11 through a wrench into the works but if we grow they way we hope, we will have around 1800 pilots by 2005, or so I 've been told, maybe 1200 pilots is more realistic. Currently we have around 600 pilots and the ones on furlough have finally begun to get recalled. If you were able to get employment here in the next year or so, in five years your seniority would be much better than if you were to go with one of the larger airlines that already has over a thousand pilots.

We are taking delivery of our RJ's, and by the time you would get here we would have zero propeller driven airplanes. For the time being we have the best pay in the regional part of the industry along with some fairly decent work rules. If you were to stay there for the long haul and were a captain on the BA146 or whatever they get to replace it you could look forward to a pay scale topping out @ $135.00/HR or so (can't remember the exact figure.)

We definitely have our problems but I think you will find that at any airline there is a certain amount of dissent among the ranks, but overall I have been very happy there and would not be too terribly disapointed if i had to hang my hat here for the duration.

Good Luck

Hi!

#1-Air Wisconsin
#2-SkyWest
Then follows a number of decent regionals:
Comair, ASA immediately come to mind.

All of the regionals are similar, which means you can find a number of pilots who are pissed about something or other, except for Air WI which I would consider a "Small-major" because of their pay scales and their professional operation.

Currently with furloughed pilots:
AAEagle
Chautauqua
Mesa
Trans States
Co-Ex (I forgot about their furloughs the 1st time I posted this!)

Last edited:
All good posts, and I agree with all of them. Skywest and Air Wis, ACA and the others are all good airlines. However, I'll bet that few of you have ever worked for more than one of them. I've worked for four different regionals, and I now work for Comair. I won't say it's the finest airline, but it's darn close. The only drawback is the current choice of bases (one) and that the strike set us back on our jet orders. Otherwise, it's very stable, we have a great major airline partner, and comraderie and employee morale are at an all time high. I wouldn't leave here for anywhere but Delta or UPS, personally. I know of several captains who recently turned down job offers from SWA. I guess they didn't want to start over again, or be at the end of anyone's list. Nothing wrong with SWA, quite the contrary, but this suprized me a bit.

Good luck to all, and I hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back