• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Alaskaairlines

Future Airline Pilot
Hello guys!

I am one of those young guys who loves aviation and am in training for a airline career.

I have talked to different people and I have been hearing that the majors are not interested in Alaska time, etc. I live just North of ANC, and we have 2 regionals based out of ANC, PenAir and Era Aviation. They both operate twin turbo props, PenAir also has C208's.

The way I look at it: I think Alaska gives pilots a lot of experience they would not recieve in the lower 48, but as I was told, airlines are not interested in AK time? They want regional time down in the states.

I would like to hear what you all have to say about this, as you know I am planning ahead! :)

I would think, as long as you have your 1000 PIC turbine, your OK no matter if you gly in Hawaii, Alaska or lwr 48.

Thanks for replying!

That would be very valuable time up there- good, solid IFR with icing and plenty of night flying. With the industry the way it is right now, it'll take years to get on with any major. AND if you want to get on with Alaska Airlines, they like to see people with Alaska time and those who want to be there and not just because it's a job. I'm not too sure what Penair is doing right now, but a good friend of mine flies the Otter for Era and life is not too good there right now.. . . not sure if they're hiring or not.

Something to consider about Penair- you'll never upgrade in the Metro or Saab without spending time in the bush. If that's okay with you, it could be a real good experience and you could make some good cash. . especially in the summer.

Look into Frontier Flying service out of FAI. I believe they have some Anchorage based pilots. I have read they're PFT, but if you've got the cash, it's a great way to get started!

Where up there do you live? I'm very anxious to get back up there when Alaska hires me :D I had a great two years flying a few years back.

Check out my website!

Hey thanks for the excellent post! Very much appreciated!
I don't think either regional is hiring, but I may be wrong.

Regarding PenAir, do you mean bush flying in the Metro or Saab? Or 208's? How does upgrading work at PenAir, upgrade from what aircraft to Captain seat?

I have seen Frontier quite a bit lately in ANC, don't really know how there piltos are based.

If you like e-mail me at: [email protected] , then we can talk more about aviation in AK, etc.

Thanks!

awesome pictures ClearRight....

I want to get up to Alaska one day and do some bush flying. Looks like its gorgeous up there.

Alaskaairlines said:

The way I look at it: I think Alaska gives pilots a lot of experience they would not recieve in the lower 48, ...

AMEN!

I really don't think time spent flying in Alaska is looked down upon. If I interviewed you I'd probably spend 30-45 minutes on the "interview" and about an hour just BS'ing.

If you want to fly for a carrier in AK, do it and don't look back. Enjoy your time up there and the unique flying you'll do!

Cheers!

GP

Thanks guys!

I thought I would ask to make sure, but is there anybody here that has had his/her career work out that way? Regionals to PIC 1000 Turbine then hired by some major?

My goal is to fly for somebody like Fed-Ex or UPS, and ofcourse AS.

Ak Airlines,

I know for a fact that Alaska time is not looked down upon in the industry. I used to fly for ERA and have had several friends from there leave for Fedex, Ups, Alaska, United...and then some. The last I heard ERA was getting rid of some of their Convair 580's ( they have 5 ) and it would possibly lead to furloughing some pilots. I've been in the lower 48 for the last 2 and a half years so I've been "out of the loop" kinda but that's what I've heard. Good luck and enjoy the flying up there. I know I miss it!

Tyler, thanks for the information! Much appreciated! All this help is just making me more confident in Alaska's Regional Carriers.
Era's cv's have about 7-8 years of pax service left, so they will be phazed out.

Mind sharing what you flew for Era? PM me please.

Thanks a lot, and keep the healthy info coming!

Alaskaairlines said:

Regarding PenAir, do you mean bush flying in the Metro or Saab? Or 208's? How does upgrading work at PenAir, upgrade from what aircraft to Captain seat?

No, I think they want to see you go out and fly the singles or Chieftains. All their Metros and Saabs are ANC based, I think the progression might be: singles in the bush, FO in ANC, then Capt. ANC. Or FO in ANC, fly out in the bush, Capt. in ANC. Something like that. I'm not exactly sure how their seniority system can uphold that sort of thing, but I've heard that's how it is.

With regard to flying in the bush, I know an Alaska Air pilot that strongly discouraged flying singles and twins in the bush. You build time fast, but the chance of an "incident" on your record is higher and that's a career killer in today's industry.

Just be careful!

Penn Air and ERA upgrade based on experience only. Total time and Alaska time are the main considerations. They have seniority lists...but they have no bearing for upgrades.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back