• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional pilots who have flown in AK?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got a job up there through a college friend at Lake Clark Air in Port Alsworth (in the bush). I was hired as a full-time A&P and had barely the 500 hours for 135 VFR. I only got a little over 300 hours flying the 206/207 and a Bonanza in the two years up there. My major accomplishment up there was finding a wife- the daughter of a fishing/hunting lodge so I've got free fishing vacations for life!!

I loved flying up there and am anxious to get back!

I don't see anything wrong flying the bush, its just very easy to get something negative on you record, thats what I am talking about. but otherwise, I think it would be great!

Alaska Flying

As insurance premiums are going up for all carriers..... it's becoming harder to get that "first" job flying in the bush....... I was lucky enough to start my "first" job in Juneau, flying for LAB flying Service with 600hrs.... (If any of you have flown for LAB in the past........ GET YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS.... AND GET IN THE HANGAR!! ;) )

-I currently fly for ACE as a F/O in the B1900C. (hired with 1500tt,900alaska)

-Since you live in Alaska.... I would try to network with the NEVERENDING supply of pilots in the state. Everyone knows a pilot or 7!!!...... so start networking by sweeping hangars.....walking around Lake Hood..... meet pilots that fly their planes a lot..... who might give you a ride once in a while...... these "connections" will open many doors down the road.

-I'd love to help...... PM me if you need any more info....

Jackson

I thought ACE went out of business?? Guess my sources were wrong! Do you guys still have that Brasilia?
I used to see it in Seattle when I was flying up there. What are the schedules like in that?

PenAir has been known to hire low-time pilots. My brother worked for them for three months before going elsewhere. Anyway he was hired with around 1600 TT mostly all from towing banners. Most of the people in his training class had less than 500 hrs and a couple had even just received their Commercial tickets. They all started out in the right seat of the Caraven and were based in Dillingham. I believe the schedule was two-weeks on and two-weeks off. There was pilot housing in Dillingham but it was very basic.

The best thing for you to do would be to get at least the VFR 135 mins and work on your networking in the meantime. Or you could get your CFI and teach at Takeflight in ANC or any other school at that, and build some AK time. Most places like to see some. It will be hard to be based out of ANC at first. Most of the junior bases are located in Western AK. Good-Luck.

Thanks for the info guys!

ACE flys, they are in business. I believe the got rid of the Brasilia. Thats what I know, I'd also like to hear what the flying is like!

-Dmitry

ACE

Yep..... ACE filed for Chapter 11 after we were denied "bypass mail"...... but has emerged as a "leaner" but more profitable company. The pilot roster is cut in half....our route structure is much smaller/profitable... and we only operate 4 B1900's now.....

-The flying is both challenging and rewarding. Flying to Southeast Alaska and the Aleutians are my top picks. (before we lost the bypass mail, our flights covered most of the state)

-We have a "primitive" bidding system based on seniority....... the best "lines" are those that yield the most flight time/month with the most Days Off...... (aka.... the Southeast "milkrun" = ~7-9hrs flt time..... 3 days a week = 100+hrs/month = 15 days off) (the only negative aspect of that "line" is the departure time.... 2am!!! UGGGGGGGhhhhhh)

-I am #6 of 10 F/O's... and have a great "line" out to the Pribilof Islands/ Aleutians.... 16 days off.....100+ hrs flying..... with a departure out of Anchorage at 7am..... can't beat it!

We just hired 3 new F/O's....... the rumor is that we'll be getting the new cessna "Mustang" jets to run "high priority" Liquor to the Bush. ;)

hahaha------------I WISH--------- (although I'd rather use a PC-12)

PM me if you have more questions

Jackson

"I believe they got rid of the Brasilia." Hey Alaska, that sure is the politically correct way to say" The owners son slid a perfectly good Brasilia through the tundra on the extended centerline while on approach into Bethel destroying any hope that ACE had for expanding into bigger, better aircraft". Once again my friend, work on your facts before becoming a provider of information.....carry on

Hey dogg!

Well I wan't sure how and if they got rid of it, could have been parked for all I know. Just a thought, and it wasn't a fact. So thanks for the thumbs up!

Did he slide off the RWY, or hit someplace on approach? How badly was it damaged?

Thanks!

Ak, he found the tundra before he found the runway as in controlled flight into terrain. Both pilots walked away and the airplane was totalled........sad story

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back