Regional Hiring Over the Next 6-12 Months

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyinhigh21

So what's your opinion on the hiring levels for various regionals over the next 6-12 months? Staying about the same? Massive slowdowns? How big of an effect will age 65 have on regional hiring?

I wouldn't worry about it too much in the near future. Most regionals are still desperate to fill classes and cover attrition. The age 65 rule will eventually slow all of that down, but I don't think we'll see any major effects at our level of the industry within the 12 month period you're asking about. Again, who knows what's to come after that?

I'll bet the opposite.

The majors will still be hiring in 08/09 but at a reduced level. Fact is, a portion of pilots that would have been forced to retire at the majors will stay on, at least till 62. Less to 65. I would expect to see a 30 to 50% reduction of hiring at the big boys.

You probably will see the same at the regionals, except that more may stay on till 62 due to lack of pensions and retirement plans at the regional level. Don't forget Medicad and health beni's...

Throw in the higher cost of oil and the fact that a 50 seater is not as cost effective as a 70 or 90 seater, or turbo prop...
A few majors have already said or have plans to do away with some of their RJ feed.

A merger of ANY 2 legacy carriers will also result in a reduction of feed, and a halting of hiring at those carriers!

I'm willing to bet that the regionals see a hugh reduction in overall hiring next year.
What you will see is that some airlines that couldn't get pilots will now have more to choose from since overall there will be less demand and more supply.

Just my opinion. I'd love to see more guys (and gals) get on here where I'm at to get me off reserve sooner. Just know that based on the new hiring numbers for next year, I'll be on reserve for a longer time than expected! Still glad to be gone from the RJ world and not having to commute any more.

Hang in there everyone. This too shall pass~

Always
Motch

Looks like Comair has put a stop to hiring until further notice with the loss of 4000 block hours to Comair alone.

XJT has slowed hiring to a trickle from what I gather. No classes until may, and word is that they've gone back to being more selective. i.e. hiring guys with 121/135 turbine time rather than CFIs. So much for the mythical/non-existent pilot shortage.

United jumpseater told me last night they re-thought their 2008 hiring numbers from 500 new hires down to 200.

Latest resources

Back