Regional hiring minimums compared

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tsa 250????

While you're on that site, check out the pay calculator at the bottom.

According to it:

A 9-5 Job @ $10 per hour, 160 hours per month= $1600/mo

At an airline, you need to make $21/hr flt pay and spend 255 hrs at work for the same monthly gross... Even more depressing, but you're living the dream baby!

Do the Colgan!!!

According to it:

At an airline, you need to make $21/hr flt pay and spend 255 hrs at work for the same monthly gross... Even more depressing, but you're living the dream baby!
That makes me feel stupid. Ouchy!

According to it:

I think that calculator is way off. To be sure, you are on duty more hours as an airline pilot, but not 255 hrs worth. I normally hold around 14 days off. I rarely have ALL 12 hr days, but let's assume I do. Even that is only 192 hours at work. I have at least one or two 4 hour days a month. This month I've got a 32 hour overnight, so that is yet another day that isn't 12 hours, and the return trip is only one leg, worth only 3 hours or so of duty time...

Sure, you make less per hour (respectively) if you compare a full time 9-5 job, but as someone who had a career as a 9-5 manager, being an airline pilot is MUCH better. It's way less stress, way more flexible schedules, and eventually I will make decent money. Even if I stay at ASA, $80,000 per year is a very decent salary (avg salary for the State of Georgia $49,650). It won't be big bucks, but I can earn a nice living on that, plus my wife's income. If I go to a major, and earn over $100,000, then that is just that much better.

I think a lot of people that complain about this job, have never been in the "real world" cooped up in a cubicle, hearing petty office politics, and deciding who gets the last piece of birthday cake when your boss turns 40.

Where else can I (eventually) bid for 16 - 17 days off, make over the national median in salary, and live anywhere I want? This is a very unique industry, and it really bothers me when people complain, not knowing what it is that they have.

Latest resources

Back