• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Regional FO's getting their ATP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did my Comm ME and the CFI program down at Craig Field near Jax almost 9 years ago and it was a good experience for me. When I went thru they had a retired FAA inspector running their CFI program and he was excellent. It did really SUCK doing FOUR checkrides in the space of 3 weeks, but it was well worth it for what I paid.

I'm soon to be a 6th year regional FO. I bought the ATP without all ATPs. I suggest finding a solid CFI and a 250 rate multi. It's an easy checkride.

Yes, the airlines will Type you for free. But many FOs are competing for jobs domestically and overseas. Some people refuse a mediocrity seniority system.

Last edited:
Did my ATP years ago through All-ATP's, already had the written done, self-study (personally, I wouldn't bother with the written-prep course, just get the big red book and dig in.) Had well over the 1500hr minimum, had lots of piston-multi time already. To me, the hard part, as it would be at any fixed-price "quickie" program, was trying to get comfortable and smooth in the PA-44 (or any other unfamiliar aircraft) in only a handful of practice hours. If I had been able to take the ride in the planes I was current in, (part 135, twin Cessna's), it would have been a cake-walk. That said, it can be done, simple enough for anybody used to the checkride routine; if a candidate wanted to really be sure of an easy pass, budgeting a few more flight hours for familiarization with the aircraft to be used would certainly help. To the OP, looks like you've had previous PA44 time, probably a non-issue.

Last edited:
Many years ago I did my ATP with ATP JAX. Instructor was a complete a**hole. I stopped the checkride before he could. Spent another night and did it the next day with a different instructor. Subsequently passed and found out the reason the other instructor was such a dick was because he had a ATC golf tourney to make the day of my checkride. Never will forget that one.

Can't you get the ATP when you're up for your next PC?

In the past most part 121 companies wouldn't allow it. There has been rumor that current companies are going to be giving their current FOs an ATP on their next PC because of the new legislation, but I am not sure if any have actually done so yet.

If your looking to get back into flying and you have been out for a while or longer, then get you ATP. It will answer the question of scrutiny when asked by an interviewer, " So you havent flown 121/135 in a while. Tell us what you have been doing to prepare your- -self for this job" .... pause..I then say " I have my new ATP"

If the First Officers leave the regionals for the legacies while the Captains stay because they can't justify the move financially (or emotionally), the regionals will get extremely top-heavy. I wonder if that crossed management's minds.

Sounds like another bitter FO comment............Yawn.

Latest resources

Back