Regional Captian Douchebag Syndrome-RCDS

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BusDriver12 said:
If you annonce over the PA on the descent announcement that the FO is going to be landing the airplane today…..you may have RCDS (I actually heard this one the other day!!)

I was quite guilty of this in my regional days, but not because I had RCDS. I got tired of what I called "copilot syndrome". You know, pax asking the FO is he was the pilot or just working the radios....I thought I was getting the pax to have a little respect for the guy.

mckpickle said:
Ok so do you guys feel better now? Now that you have had the chance to whine about your mean captains? The best thing I remember about being an FO was I learned my place. Something that been missing for a few years.
Your place? Are you kidding me? Did you sleep through all those CRM classes? Glad I won't be flying with you pickle. Enjoy your lofty captainhood and remember to keep those FO's in their "place".

no_desk_for_me said:
any captain that

doesnt' like your reading or listining to music
Sorry, you're not plugging your shiny I-Pod into the ACM hot mic with me. I don't want that crap on the CVR if we screw up. Did you know our company actually had to put out a information letter telling pilots not to watch DVD's or listen to I-Pod's? That's pretty sad.

no_desk_for_me said:
does the 10,000 and 18,000 check at exactly those alttitudes every time
Sorry, when should I do them? If I forget, feel free to remind me. I'm not going to get pissed. I'll remind you too. That's why there are 2 of us.

no_desk_for_me said:
is only unconfident in themselves and their ability. They have probably bee in the RJ their hole career and never learned ho to fly. All FO's watch over these people it isn't the little petty things that matter.

Riiiight........you know, most CA's will ease up a little and cut you a little more slack if you give the initial impression of being professional and doing it the right way from the start. If you kick off the trip by being a slack-ass, they probably figure they need to watch you because who knows what else you aren't going to do right.

Not directed personally at you, no desk, just some observations of stuff I've seen.

Last edited:
This is funny!!!! LMAO! But i cant front i dont like flying with egotrippin' captains. The job isnt that deep, sure as a captain you want be sure about your crew's actions but come on dont be a dillweed. Sad part is that captain douchebags were f/o douchebags. I've noticed in aviation either youre cool or your a schmuck no in between.

Hell just relax and lets get this mininum wage and go home and eventually get one with an airline that has sh*tty bebifits and bad work rules. Hoorah!

Bluto said:
Your place? Are you kidding me? Did you sleep through all those CRM classes? Glad I won't be flying with you pickle. Enjoy your lofty captainhood and remember to keep those FO's in their "place".

Ya, I knew my place. I knew that if the CA was flying and ATC called the airport a 2 o'clock, and 10 miles I'd ask the CA beofre calling it in sight. I'd ask the captain if HE wanted the seatbelt sign off. I'd look over at the captain when ATC would ask us if we wanted lower. I wouldn't ask for direct unless asked to. I would ask the captain before accepting a intersection departure or shorter runway. I respected the seat because the old timers I flew with taught me to respect the seat. So ya CO-Captain Bluto, I learned my place.

mckpickle said:
Ya, I knew my place. I knew that if the CA was flying and ATC called the airport a 2 o'clock, and 10 miles I'd ask the CA beofre calling it in sight. I'd ask the captain if HE wanted the seatbelt sign off. I'd look over at the captain when ATC would ask us if we wanted lower. I wouldn't ask for direct unless asked to. I would ask the captain before accepting a intersection departure or shorter runway. I respected the seat because the old timers I flew with taught me to respect the seat. So ya CO-Captain Bluto, I learned my place.

That's not "learning your place", that's called COMMON SENSE. If you really had to learn that, well....

Pickle,
I have known Bluto as a personal freind for years and can tell you CLEARLY you miss the point he is making.
Besides, you'd be surprised how little "common sense" is out there now with the new wave of regional pilots. They are more concerned about where to plug the iPod, set up the laptop, bang the FA, etc than on learning how to be an airline pilot.

Last edited:
=w= said:
That's not "learning your place", that's called COMMON SENSE. If you really had to learn that, well....

W, you'd think it would be. Unfortunately, there are quite a few out there who don't understand this sort of thing. Like the FO who reached up (on his leg) and turned the seat belt sign off while still climbing without a word. Or the FO who switches the lights you've turned on because "he likes to do it differently".

It comes down to professional courtesy. I'll extend it to you if you do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_desk_for_me
any captain that

doesnt' like your reading or listining to music

Sorry, you're not plugging your shiny I-Pod into the ACM hot mic with me. I don't want that crap on the CVR if we screw up. Did you know our company actually had to put out a information letter telling pilots not to watch DVD's or listen to I-Pod's? That's pretty sad.

This recently got put into our Ops manual. I wouldn't have thought this was a problem.

acaTerry said:
Pickle,

Besides, you'd be surprised how little "common sense" is out there now with the new wave of regional pilots. They are more concerned about where to plug the iPod, set up the laptop, bang the FA, etc than on learning how to be an airline pilot.

Funniest thing I saw recently was a Mesa Dash-8 FO performing his preflight with his backpack on.

I've been fortunate I guess. The vast majority of FO's I've flown with have been great to work with.

Latest resources

Back