Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATR-DRIVR

Used Register
We were sitting at the gate waiting for the short trip to CHA in the rain and wind. As we watched the people run out to board, I noticed a soldier just ambling out, face up in the rain, like he hadn't a care in the world. I went back as he sat down and mentioned it looked like he didn't mind getting wet. He said he was just back from Iraq and had not seen rain for over a year. I stuck out my hand and said 'thank you'. He looked a bit surprised and I said 'Because you and your buddies are over there, my family can sleep a bit more easily and I wanted you to know that everyone I know thanks you from the bottom of our hearts. Unfortunately I can't offer a big first class seat or first class meal, but anything we have on here is yours'. I then told the F/A's that so they were aware of it.
We finally got to CHA after some wind, rain and bumps. I went back as the folks were getting off. He came up to me and handed me his rank insignia off his collar. I have no idea what it is, (ex-air force) but it was weather beaten and worn. He said 'thank you for getting me home safe. I don't have an extra squad patch, but this is for you'. It is now my tie tac.

The bitching and moaning on this board sure seems pretty meaningless......

ATR-DRIVR said:
We were sitting at the gate waiting for the short trip to CHA in the rain and wind. As we watched the people run out to board, I noticed a soldier just ambling out, face up in the rain, like he hadn't a care in the world. I went back as he sat down and mentioned it looked like he didn't mind getting wet. He said he was just back from Iraq and had not seen rain for over a year. I stuck out my hand and said 'thank you'. He looked a bit surprised and I said 'Because you and your buddies are over there, my family can sleep a bit more easily and I wanted you to know that everyone I know thanks you from the bottom of our hearts. Unfortunately I can't offer a big first class seat or first class meal, but anything we have on here is yours'. I then told the F/A's that so they were aware of it.
We finally got to CHA after some wind, rain and bumps. I went back as the folks were getting off. He came up to me and handed me his rank insignia off his collar. I have no idea what it is, (ex-air force) but it was weather beaten and worn. He said 'thank you for getting me home safe. I don't have an extra squad patch, but this is for you'. It is now my tie tac.

The bitching and moaning on this board sure seems pretty meaningless......
That is great that you thanked him. No matter where our soldiers are serving, they are doing the job so that we can feel safer at night.

I have recently done a fair amount of airline travel for several interviews. The last one I went to the airline made a point to do that on every flight I was on and I saw and heard it happening at the gates while the pax were waiting to board. I must have seen it happen 6-7 times!

The sad thing is that none of the other airlines I have traveled on did anything like that. Needless to say I was very impressed and it actually changed my perception of the company, not that it was bad before, but it was even better after that!!

mmmdonut said:
Cool! Did you thank him for finding the WMD?

Oh wait....
:eek: :eek:

Did you seriously just say that?! Tell me you were joking.

ATR-DRIVR, that was a class act, thankyou. I'm sure the tie-tack/rank insignia is a great way to start a conversation and to share your experience.

AV1ATRX said:
I have recently done a fair amount of airline travel for several interviews. The last one I went to the airline made a point to do that on every flight I was on and I saw and heard it happening at the gates while the pax were waiting to board. I must have seen it happen 6-7 times!

The sad thing is that none of the other airlines I have traveled on did anything like that. Needless to say I was very impressed and it actually changed my perception of the company, not that it was bad before, but it was even better after that!!
Did you get the job(s)?

The reason there aren't any WMD's left is that Saddam used them all on his own people.

But I guess that's ok. They're just a bunch of ragheads. They don't deserve the same liberties and rights we exalted Westerners do. Right?

Murder your mom and dad and put your children(regardless of how young they are) in prision because of what their grandfather said within earshot of a Party member and see how you like it.

Oh well, I've wasted enough words. Some people get it. Some never will... 'Till it's too late.TC

P.S.--Don't stop thanking the service men and women. They do the job that so many $hitbirds won't.

Latest resources

Back