• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Refineries

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The europeans gas prices are worse because they tax the crap out of gas. Take away the taxes they are probably cheaper since they have oil in Norway.

skypine69 said:
What happens when we run out of oil? For those of you who are blaming the NIMBY's, I turn it around and blame you. Because you won't vote out politicians who support a shortsighted and irresponsible energy policy, we find our selves in the position we are in today. You want to use up all the oil now for yourselves, the he!! with your future generations.

Have you ever been to Europe? The gas prices there are double or triple what they are here. Yes it is taxed heavily, but what kind of cars do people drive over there? They certainly dont get tax breaks for buying Hummers as our wonderful administration has done. I bought a hybird car 3 years ago, great car, gets in the range of 50 MPG with efficient driving. What are you willing to do to make the country less dependent on oil? From the posts here, it seems to me that you are willing to do nothing.

Bought a hybrid? Thanks for destroying our environment. Where do you plan on putting those batteries from your car once they need to be changed?

Believe me, I thought long and hard about that when I bought the car, but I know that batteries can be recycled so I elected to go ahead with it anyway. Also, the batteries are supposed to last 8-10 years, (time will tell) so i figured the trade off between the batteries and the oil saved over that time frame was a positive one. Again I ask, what are you willing to do to reduce the nations dependence on a non renewable resource?

I'm going to buy a canoe, some sandals, and a loin cloth. Then stick a few feathers in my hair. Then i can live in harmony with nature, and not pollute at all. And the earth will be wonderful again.

i have a 1964 vespa scooter i'm thinking about dropping 2 grand on to get it fixed. 130mpg or so. i may look like a dork but i'll be saving money on gas!

Icelandair said:
I'm going to buy a canoe, some sandals, and a loin cloth. Then stick a few feathers in my hair. Then i can live in harmony with nature, and not pollute at all. And the earth will be wonderful again.
Good luck, that'll leave more beer and pizza for the rest of us.

So, where are the major Jet and 100LL refineries in the US?

A number of refineries exist that still produce avgas, despite special interest group complaints to the contrary. DG International, for example, has fourteen sites across the country. Chevron produces their own, and so forth. The weakest link is that all obtain their tetraethyl lead (TEL) from Octel, in the UK, and it's the only source worldwide.

The last producer of 80 octane avgas closed last year, and that was Kern Oil.

The market for avgas is very small. Presently refineries only produce small batches, and only intermittantly as needed. Liabilities are very high, return very low, and little is produced.

We have the capability of producing more, but not the market.

Say the orders were given today to build new refineries, how long from drawing blueprints to trucking out gas?

Latest resources

Back