• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Redbird Flight Simulators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then it is settled....Lets all write Redbird and tell them what improvements need to be made to make their simulator a better product. Also something else to keep in mind. I have never heard of Redbird simulators until my local flight school got one. This means they were either a small outfit or a new company right out of the box. When starting a new company, sometimes you have to sell your product in the "experimental stage" to see how it catches on.. If they experience a loss, they would loose what they put in because they didn't have all these high priced products like Garmin. Just their own developed means. If it catches on and lots of schools buy their product, then you can just about count on upgrades and getting better. If more schools buy, then they can make the profits to make a better simulator.

When using the simulator's GPS, try to think of the unlikeness as sort of a challenge or partial failure. Relying too much on the GPS instrument itself is just as bad as it is good. Remember your regulations. You may have GPS equipped in your airplane, but you must also have another source of navigation inside the plane should the GPS unit fail. I'm not saying that all you do is rely in the GPS, but the emphasis is on the GPS.

Yeah, yeah.... I know what the PTS says and that technology is constantly changing the way we pilots fly. But it was written for a reason. Redundancy.

Last edited:
One more thing. Before we bust Redbird's balls, talk to your flight school. I'm not so sure that they can't order the Redbird with all the bells and whistles...If the flight schools are on a budget, or just don't want to spend for top dollar equipment, then you'll get generic programs in place of the more sophisticated Garmin products. That guys is the nature of business....And reguardless of what the PTS says, that is perfectly legal. And if some of you have been around flight schools long enough or have become instructors, then you know exactly what im talking about. Concerned? Voice your concerns to the flight school's management or Owners...see what you come up with. Send Redbird a letter. Call. Ask questions about their products. Compare your answers to what the flight school might tell you. This will give you an idea of who is actually giving you the "business end" of the stick...I said it before...it's your money...until you hand it over. Research before you ask the school.
ALWAYS Remember, a flight school is just a business.

Last edited:
Do you have stock in the company? You are really defending this pos to the point of taking it personal.

Of course not...I don't have stock in the company. Honestly I've never liked ANY simulator used for flight training purposes. WHY? For the same reasons mentioned. I just try to use it the best way possible and you can learn from using them and save money in the process. Just trying to stay positive. But seems one always blames the company or the product and it may not even be the company's or products fault. It might be that the flight school does not wish to buy the best software to run the damn thing....I dunno but it is a posibility.
Blast Redbird...I don't care. Do as ya please. Feel like your money isn't well spent because of a sorry ass simulator? Find out why it's so sorry...or just dont use it.

Last edited:
Really, motion is a myth as far as it's value for simulation at the lower levels of flight training. It's just not necessary at all for learning the important aspects of instrument training or even private pilot level training. What is important is procedures and cockpit management and that training doesn't need motion. So for what's important in flight training, any fixed base Frasca or other such FTD will do the job just fine. Adding motion is a waste.

It seems that what Redbird has done is create something that looks impressive because it's on stilts. Yes, with the stilts it has some kind of cheap motion system but who needs it? Yes, you can do visual takeoffs and landing and "fly" around the pattern but who needs simulations that are only partially as good at the real thing? Why not just use an airplane? Very rarely is the weather so bad that a person can't at least go around the patch in an airplane. So what's the point of the Redbird motion? I'll tell you, the truth is it's all just a marketing tool; to get the no-nothing beginners to sign up at a flight school because it looks impressive to have a simulator on stilts that is supposed to teach the students how to fly, and fly for less money than an airplane, plus fly on cloudy windy days. Of course that's all crap because the students would be paying for nothing of training value; but, they don't know that. Who cares anyway? The idea is to get the poor unsuspecting students in the door and charge them for the training. If they learn nothing or get negative training in the Redbird that's OK because the school can provide that much more expensive airplane time to unlearn the Redbird training.

It seems that Redbird simulators are not much more than marketing gimmicks that are mostly worthless as real training devices.

So in the end I expect we'll see lots of schools purchase a Redbird. It's cheap, it's on stilts and it brings in the customers.

Last edited:
So what's the point of the Redbird motion? I'll tell you, the truth is it's all just a marketing tool; to get the no-nothing beginners to sign up at a flight school because it looks impressive to have a simulator on stilts that is supposed to teach the students how to fly, and fly for less money than an airplane, plus fly on cloudy windy days.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. Sad part is, it actually works - people are fascinated by that thing and can't wait to spend their hard-earned money to go for a ride.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head. Sad part is, it actually works - people are fascinated by that thing and can't wait to spend their hard-earned money to go for a ride.

Yes, you're right, it brings them in. I would say the Redbird isn't much more than an expensive carnival ride; and since there are pleanty of people who love those rides, I expect the Redbird to be a success.

I see the King's are now marketing the Redbird. Some people will do anything for money; or, I really wonder if they have really even given the Redbird a true evaluation? I would guess not, so as to give them the benefit of any doubt on that score.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back