Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UndauntedFlyer

Ease the nose down
Does anyone have any experience training or teaching in the Redbird full motion simulator? If so I'd be interested to hear of your comments.

I had a chance to fly one recently and it was truly a POS.

The GARMIN's didn't act like real GARMIN's so that was a negative training experience. And when faults were introduced the motion went wild.

You pretty much summed it up. Neither the G1000 nor the GNS430/530 behave anything like their real counterparts. No FPL mode, no AUX functions, improper approach sequencing, improper handling of missed approaches, etc, etc, etc. They're ok for currency or something for a student who is already proficient in the systems, but they are utterly USELESS for trying to teach Garmin ops.

After a few early quirks, we've actually had good luck with the failures and the motion platform.

Guys it isn't a level D sim...we have on here in KPIE at CAMS flight school. Yeah it flies funny but name one simulator that you have been in that behaves like the real plane besides level D...... That is not the point. The point is to get the idea of how you should control the aircraft...small movements.. precise flying is what it is trying to teach you reguardless of how unlike the real thing it is. Plus you can save money by using it...at least here it only costs $85 per hr plus instruction....

The issue isn't how the sim "flies". The issue is that the sim doesn't properly simulate the systems that it is purported to. So much of instrument training these days focuses on proper avionics management (per the new PTS), that it seems counter-productive to teach students how to use a Garmin GPS that doesn't actually behave anything like a Garmin GPS.

Your best bet is go and download Garmin's actual simulator for the equipment.

:yeahthat:

The issue isn't how the sim "flies". The issue is that the sim doesn't properly simulate the systems that it is purported to. So much of instrument training these days focuses on proper avionics management (per the new PTS), that it seems counter-productive to teach students how to use a Garmin GPS that doesn't actually behave anything like a Garmin GPS.

:yeahthat:

We're slated to get one, and I think the Frasca 141 is supposed to be replaced with this thing. No Flight Plan function or AUX pages... I hope it never shows up where I'm at. I see negative transfer from the KAP 140 in MSFX.

It's just a simulator.... Thats what it does.... Simulate....
poorly but hey you always have the option to rent a G1000 or steam guage Cessna
and get some simulated yet real experience that way.

Dont like it, then dont use it. Its ur money. Do as you please.

As far as the gps, well there may have been some
legal issues with portraying the use of a garmin gps. After all
i dont remember it saying anything anywhere about it being a garmin certified product.
Not factual but this might explain the gps woes.

Or they could install an actual Garmin GPS unit in it like Frasca does rather than relying on software that is sold in the games aisle at Best Buy.

Latest resources

Back