• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Red Cross Donations for Tsunami Tragedy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wish the minimum message length was 4 characters instead of 5 so we could just say "bump" instead of "bummp" or "bump." or ".....". Oh, well.... :)

The reason the American Red Cross can respond to disasters so quickly is that they have funds and supplies on hand immediately, and don't have to wait for contributions to roll in. There is a local group here that is assembling a collection of food and water and flashlights and batteries and such to send to aid, but if the people over there had to wait for these supplies to arrive, they might already be dead. The Red Cross can supply those immediate needs because somebody donated money during the last disaster. The money collected by the Red Cross this time around will replace the supplies immediately on hand from the money that was collected the last time around, and when all is said and done will be used to make sure there are supplies on hand for the next time around.

You may be unhappy about the amount of money spent on overhead, and I won't even attempt to address that issue. But don't get all worked up about which disaster the money "goes to." If a bottle of water goes to a tsunami victim that was actually paid for by money that was sent in relief of 9/11, I don't care. The concept of helping a human being in desperate need remains the same.

bump;)

I donate gladly to a host of charitable organizations. With that said, I wouldn't give the sweat off my rear end to the Red Cross.

The reason I put the Red Cross as the donation portal was because they are able to get the needed items to the victims quickly. I know they messed up after 9/11, but I have a feeling they will not make that mistake again.

I just hope that everyone donates something; to whatever charity they choose. Just be careful which organization you send your donations to as there is a great deal of fraud. Just like all the organizations that popped up after 9/11 and scammed money out of people.

Considering that the salary of the CEO of the Red Cross is $621,435.00 per year, they're not my first choice.

My suggestion is Direct Relief International or any others with a high rating. They, along with others, received a 100% efficiency rating from Forbes magazine. Red Cross; 36%

http://www.directrelief.org/index.html

Not sure how much creditibility Jay Leno has, but he is doing the celeberty signed Harly with the ebay value going to the Red Cross....

I would go with Leno if I had the $$$.

Clarification

I believe the Red Cross, and other well known organizations are great. What I should have written is that Leno in my judgment has credibility..The Harley would be nice too:)

Direct Relief International is a non-profit, non-political, and non-sectarian organization that provides assistance without regard to race, ethnicity, political or religious affiliation, gender, or ability to pay. We are committed to making every dollar count – less than 1% of our support goes to administrative and fundraising expenses.

In 2003, Direct Relief International was able to deliver $3,400 in medical aid for every $100 donated!

In the year 2003, our administrative and fundraising expenses were less than 1% of our public support and revenue. Consumers Digest magazine rated Direct Relief as one of only five U.S. charitable organizations with 99% or better efficiency ratings in all categories reviewed.

These were all selling points for me. Thankx to BornAgainPagan for the link.

http://www.directrelief.org/index.html

Latest resources

Back