• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Red Alert For Mesaba!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only way these airplanes are sticking around is with 85 seats in them. That puts them pretty close to what the 9's carry. If Northwest is truely looking to cut capacity (I'm sure it's true to a point) then it's not to wild of an idea to see these airplanes going away.

I'm not sure who beats who when it comes to mx ( avro v.s. 9), but as far as I know most of the 9's are paid for. Yes Northwest threatened to take away the avros before, but this time is nothing like last time. This time they actaully have a chance to get out of paying for these things. Either they get rid of them now, or they continue to be stuck with them even after whatever other airplanes show up in red paint down the line.

I guess there is a chance maybe they could come up with a shorter lease period, but I would think if I was a lessor I'd want to find these planes homes now verses later (time on airframe, while other airlines in the world still have them in their fleet, etc, etc). If I'm going to give someone a deal they can't refuse I'm going to make it a long term one, I'd doubt that's what Northwest is looking for. We'll see I guess.

Who knows?

The letter on MyMesaba from Spandex the other day said that NW is allowed to renegotiate the leases on all 35 Avros. So are the nine really going away to the desert?

Mesabi Miner said:
Hey all you "enjoy your concessions" jerks, p1ss off! Yeah we're in a predicament, but don't add insult to injury. Enjoy your jobs, idiots...

I think "predicament" is putting it mildly. NWA management is gonna break you guys in half and then hand you a concessionary contract to sign, which your MEC WILL accept. Why? Because they've been told to by ALPA National.

It's all about protecting the senior 300 pilots now boys.

It's hilarious that the senior pilots who are still at Mesaba, have this "it's all smoke and mirrors" attitude - ALL the Time - and cant see that the sky is falling around them. These are the same pilots who will eat their young, when you hold their feet to the fire, or will tell the younger F/O's that they gotta "pay their dues", when an F/O salary is at poverty levels, or when he's about to be furloughed.

Maybe XJ will become the "newco" NWA is wanting to start?

avrodriverj85 said:
Enjoy your concessions.

Blah, Blah, Blah...thank you for pointing out what is obvious to MOST of us. But you've gotta admit your little comment above was possibly just a little d.ickish.

I'm sure the guys that wrote your letters of reccomendations to get you out of Mesaba apperciate the kind words. If you did it all on your own. Congrads! Hopefully you won't spit on the few if any friends you have left at XJ that come looking for a way out. I don't think Mesaba pilots have done anything to this industry to deserve your comments.

avrodriverj85 said:
I think "predicament" is putting it mildly. NWA management is gonna break you guys in half and then hand you a concessionary contract to sign, which your MEC WILL accept. Why? Because they've been told to by ALPA National.

It's all about protecting the senior 300 pilots now boys.

It's hilarious that the senior pilots who are still at Mesaba, have this "it's all smoke and mirrors" attitude - ALL the Time - and cant see that the sky is falling around them. These are the same pilots who will eat their young, when you hold their feet to the fire, or will tell the younger F/O's that they gotta "pay their dues", when an F/O salary is at poverty levels, or when he's about to be furloughed.

Maybe XJ will become the "newco" NWA is wanting to start?

Avro85, why do you even care? Are you that bitter of a person with no life. Just look at all your past posts here. You spew nothing but garbage and hostility. I'm guessing by the 737 on your profile you have moved on so why do you even care? I guess in order for you to make yourself feel better about yourself you have to berate us lowly XJ pilots. We all know the type so keep on doing whatever it is that makes you feel good because we all know your nothing but sour grapes. Mark F. If I didn't know any better.

Bitter?

If his profile is correct and he has 9000 hours he probably was in the top 300. I am at 7000 hours and around #350 on the list.

I'm not so sure even the top 300 guys are salivating to keep their jobs if we are an all Saab fleet. I mean it's not like we are talking about the top 300 at a major.

I am confident Avro is wrong. We will take it in the shorts but we will also be flying 70 seat jets if the Avro goes away. Who wants to bet that we see the 9 parked Avros back in Jan-Feb with 85 seats?

Detox - my inflammatory posts on this thread were directed at your post(s) alone, and at no other pilot/group on this board. My sympathies and condolences to the XJ pilot group in these trying times. The "smoke & mirrors" comment just really got to me.

But here's some kind words you've had to say on this board about others -

5/2/05 ~It would be real nice if the FO's in the 450-550 range had some desire to upgrade as no one likes to fly with career FO's, but alas.

4/5/05 ~ Get real Lear. You guys will be lucky to get 1/2 of what we had in our OLD contract and you wont come close to our current contract in pay, QOL, W-2 earnings ability ect. ect. Well, I have to go. I have to get ready for my $1000 premium pay daytrip tomorrow.

And I love this one from Captain High & Mighty -

3/05 ~ Flighter, your the moron for taking the bait these credit card companies are throwing at you. I have no debt, lots of savings, emergency fund, 401K maxed with 6 figures in it to borrow against, ect. ect. It's called living within your means. I highly recommend you try it!

And on 2/05, you lectured us regarding the virtues of per dieum. - "I realize that "non-tax" Per diem doesn't go into line 1, 3 or 5 on your W-2 but it is still certainly "income" I made almost $4000 tax free in per diem last year and for me to clear $4000 I need to net almost $6000. No matter what field you work in, you have to eat. I don't spend any more $$ on eating just because I'm a pilot. I come out way ahead on my per diem and it's up to you how you want to spend for food on the road. Typical day ....... Brakfast = Free, Lunch = $1.99 protien bar + Banana I stole from the hotels free breakfast, Dinner = $10. Company pays me $36 a day and I don't come close to spending it. All other professions have to pay for eating and they don't get any per diem".

Another lecture to an F/O from a guy who claims he's making $130k.

If you don't like the cards you were dealt then fold and move on. You honestly think your boo hoo stories and situations are going to get you any sympothy. I would love to see our senior FO's at Mesaba get their overdue upgrades, but when they continue to pass it up I just kind of scratch my head. I guess they are too fat dumb and happy being underpaid Avro FO's and they don't want to bother with being the best paid turboprop pilots in the industry??

Oh Man! This is depressing!

I'm going to a movie - Chick Little will lift up my spirits!

Avrodriverj85,

I'm flattered that you had nothing better to do at 11pm on a Friday night than read some of my old flight info posts. I missed the one where you said I claimed to make $130K per year? If I was topped out on the payscales then I may have come close but due to my longevity I was well shy of that #. Have a nice day & hopefully you will once again think of me when you have nothing else to do on a Friday night.

Latest resources

Back