• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Recruiting Companies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There is another aspect to all of this and it is a fact that just like a corporate lifestyle is not for everyone, neither is the ex pat lifestyle. Unlike some of you, my first decade in the business was in corporate flying and although I held a couple of pretty good jobs in that period, that time taught me that it wasn't what I wanted to do for the long run. Now that I'm doing the contract side of things, I also realize that it takes quite a bit of adapting your way of thinking to be happy doing this. I personally love it but then again I'm pretty open minded and it is relatively easy for me to adapt to different cultures and ways of thinking.
These are tough times though, and they are going to get even tougher since I doubt that we will see less than $100 barrel of oil ever again and that will cause some major consolidation in the US market, only the stronger companies will survive this and there will be just a hand full of companies when all is said and done. The international market is pretty good now but It will not support the infusion of thousands of pilot within a year, scenario that is becoming more possible everyday so I think that even the international market will become saturated although just for a few years. The moral to this story is that whatever move you will make (Contract, Corporate, Fractional) needs to be done yesterday!

Good luck to all

Thank you everyone for your advise and information. Going over seas is not my first choice, but if lucrative enough, I will do anything for a few years.

NetJets type operations is not something I have ever considered, because from the time I was a little boy, I always wanted to be an "airline pilot."

Now that I am older, at the ripe ol' age of 36, and with three little ones at home, my priorities are shifting away from the "big" iron and egos, and back to what really matters. My family, and a less stressful existence in the crazy airline career world.

The fractional arena seems like something I will likely pursue, as being based in my hometown and seeing new places without the worry of always wondering when the next furlough, strike, or BK will hit my company seems like a reasonable and noble goal. I gave UAL 10 years of my life, and have nothing to show for it. We have outsourced our flying to the tune of 40% from when I first was hired, and now after a decade of loyal service, I am looking at being in the bottom 3% of the seniority list. This is no way to live.

Now the question is...Will a NetJets even think about hiring a big airline pilot with no corporate experience? I suppose airline pilots looking for a new career path are a dime a dozen now.

I am voluntarily punchin' out soon. Sad to say. But on the other hand, fairly liberating, once you make the decision. Any additional advice is appreciated.

Sincerely,

BigRed1

Air Tran is about to furlough 180 pilots. You better hurry up and get your stuff in...

Rishworth Aviation - BAD, reasons too numerous to bore you with. PARC Aviation - GOOD

I believe we Americans will have to adopt the attitude of the Brits and Aussies that you go anywhere to find a good job.

Maybe because the British Empire was so spread out they don't think twice about packing up and moving to the Gulf or Asia.

Unless you want a job in the "service industry" in the U.S., you have to adjust your thinking. I believe those who do will end up light years ahead of the game. TC

I believe we Americans will have to adopt the attitude of the Brits and Aussies that you go anywhere to find a good job.

Maybe because the British Empire was so spread out they don't think twice about packing up and moving to the Gulf or Asia.

Unless you want a job in the "service industry" in the U.S., you have to adjust your thinking. I believe those who do will end up light years ahead of the game. TC

I completely agree with AA717. I have friend who is an Aussie pilot and he is working for a Foreign carrier in Asia. He has basically been a contract pilot for over a decade now, and has made a petty good living doing it. His family and him don't even think twice about moving to a new godforsaken country, because in the end they know they will return home in a few more years and live a comfortable lifestyle. He and his family have moved three different times now to work different contracts. The problem with many pilots in the US is that if they were single they would probably do it, but it seems the wives/families aren't up to the task.

I am in my prime earning years and I will not start over again only to make squat for years while I wait for an upgrade to the left seat (SWA excluded). If I expect to retire comfortably and early the only way it happens is by going where the supply/demand curve for pilots is in the pilots favor. I will also not change careers because that would require more schooling (read more money spent, no income for a period of time) and extend time to retirement. Good luck everyone!

My advice is to talk with pilots at the contract you are looking at, you probably have a better chance doing that over on PPRuNe, see how satisfied they are with the contractor.

Latest resources

Back