Recommended flight school NYC area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Magneto

My brother is interested in beginning a career in aviation. He has no flight time and zero class work done. He currently lives on Long Island and wants to find a good flight training program out there. I would prefer he go to a university/college so that he can get his degree at the same time.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of a good program in that area? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Do either of you have personal experience with these schools? I would really like to know if they have a good reputation and worth the money. I don't want to send him to some over inflated, super expensive program like Embry-Riddle. Thanks.

If he's a resident of NY, then SUNY (State University of New York) is cheaper. Dowling College is private and costs more.

Can't comment on quality, unforunately.

I was a CFI at Dowling for almost two years. It was a great school with the latest equiptment. Although the flight training was no more expensive than anywhere else, the tuition itself was quite pricey. The aviation dept is located in Shirley which is in the eastern part of LI. Let me know if you have anymore questions, I didn't go to school there but I was close with my students.

Training out of...

SUNY = FRG (Farmingdale) Class D
Dowling = HWV (Brookhaven) Class E

I knew a guy who went to Dowling and eventually ended up typed on a 757/767 at North American. It's mostly up to the individual though. A curriculum can only take you so far.

FRG is one of the busiest GA airports in NY. TONS of student training and lots of delays as Purple mentioned.

HWV is quiet in comparison.

HWV is usually very quiet. The exception is on summer weekends when you deal with the 2 flight schools (Dowling and Mid Island Air), the banner towers, the gliders, and the weekend warriors. All of this without a tower makes for an uncomfortable environment, especially with your new private pilots that you're trying to solo.

Latest resources

Back