Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyChicaga said:
SledDriver,

I can't tell if you are serious or not, but if you are replacing your bag and doing all that retrofitting to it every three months, you might really consider buying a TravelPro or something that will be a bit more durable for less cost. That's like living in a $200 a week apartment since it's cheaper than an $600 a month apartment.

Yeah, I'm serious. And I know what you mean about the 200/wk vs 600/mo apartment, but try thinking of it this way: That 200/wk apartment is all up in the hood, and you're trying to make damm sure the 600/mo one that you rent is not. When you find a decent 600/mo apartment, you can bail on the the 200/wk one at any time with no penalty. (Not stuck in a long term Lease.)

I myself am presently weighing the pro's and cons between a PNT/TravelPro right now, and this system has served as the perfect "bag of indecision." You don't HAVE to replace it every four months, I've just been doing it as a possible problem preventing measure. Once you make or buy the J-hook for it, you have it, it'll just snap into the next bag's buckle; and other than the dabs of glue on the screws, there's no further "retrofitting" involved. I can't see dropping $380 for a "big empty box" type bag (especially as an FO) so I think I'm gonna try a TravelPro. (I like all the pockets and dividers, etc.) If it turns out to be the POS it's reputation sometimes makes it out to be... Well, lets just say I can be very vocal and opinionated, and will not hesitate to pass that info along to EVERYBODY I can.

You can buy the replacement strap at luggageworks.com for about $12.00. Or you could go to wally world and buy a 1" utility strap for $1.78, 2 screws and your in bussiness. Either way, you have to drill new holes in the side frame. As for the suitcase, I have a PNT but ut ways 16lbs empty. I much prefer the TravelPro 3, at half the weight! Don't know anything about the Costco bag.
Good Luck!!

Latest resources

Back