Recent T-38 Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
anyone know what happend to cause it?

I'm not going to speculate and would hope everybody on here will refrain. I do have a question though:

Where is the USAF on their ejection seat upgrade? (ESUP) The contract was award in 95', but have any seats been installed yet? NASA has had the Martin-Baker US16LN seats in their T-38's for a quite a while now. Those seats should have been in there at the turn of the century.

My thoughts, prayers and condolences to both pilot's families.

Last edited:
There are certain situations where no seat can save you. Midairs, high sink rates close to the ground, rapid rolling moments (which can twist chutes or force you to eject into dirt if close to terra firma...)

Again--not saying a better seat isnt' always a good thing, but any jet there are places in the envelope that just don't have an out...

Thanks for the information, Albie.

The two recent accidents only bring attention to the fact that the USAF is aparently flying a fifty year-old seat three years after a contract to replace them was awarded.

I'm not insinuating that the newer seats would have resulted in a different outcome, I was only wondering what the current status with the contract was.

Just a curious HF nerd with a background in logistics, supply and procurement.

My understanding is the seat is on the way. I can't remember when, but maybe Block 7 or Block 8, which is later this FY or next FY. There was a big fight between the updated brakes and the new seat. I can't remember which is coming first. Hardware upgrades always take a while especially with 40 year old airplanes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back