Recent T-38 Crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATRCA

I understand the names will be released 24 hrs post accident. Where do they release these names? Apparently one of the guys was a CAL new hire. I had a couple T-38 IP guys in my newhire class and was looking for names.

Anyone know.

4/24/2008 - COLUMBUS AIR FORCE BASE, Miss. -- Two Columbus Air Force Base pilots died Wednesday when a Columbus AFB T-38C crashed on initial takeoff at approximately 12:30 p.m. on base.
Major Blair Faulkner, 43rd Flying Training Squadron instructor pilot, and 2nd Lt. Matthew Emmons, Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training class 08-14, were both fatally injured in the crash.
"This is a difficult time for the BLAZE team," remarked Col David Gerber, 14th Flying Training Wing Commander. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the family, friends and squadrons of the pilots."
The last Columbus AFB aircraft related fatality was 24 years ago, on March 21, 1984. There have been six aircraft accidents since then, three of which involved T-38s.
An Air Force safety investigation board of officers has been convened to investigate the accident.
Additional details will be provided as they become available.

The IP was also one of our pilots here at CAL. A sad day for his family, CAL and his unit.

My prayers to his and his student's family.

I helped Blair a few years ago. My prayers go out to his family, his student's family, and the entire Columbus community.

Blair was a great dude. I met him when he was a stud at Laughlin in 00-05, ran into him on a cross country at DM while he was in the A-10 school house, a few years after that, he took two of our students into the sim at NBG on a Sunday morning and showed them all the cool stuff the -10 could do. I was happy to hear he was hired at CBM and had the chance to get back to close to home. He was truly one of the best.

So sad - I read he has a two year old and an 8 month old. Same age as my kids. My heart goes out to them and his wife. My uncle died in a similar incident. Sad all around. My wife asked why I had tears in my eyes as I read the article, she read it and felt the same way. All I can say is be careful out there, don't take anything for granted.

Yes it was a very difficult UTA. He was a great guy and born again believer, and his family asked for donations to be given to a few local charities as his family was taken care of. I was in awe of their selfless attitude inspite of terrible circumstances. Say a prayer for them if you get the chance.

Latest resources

Back