Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

InstructorPuke

Jester's Dead!!
Hello all, what is the general thought on EJ hire projections with the majors starting to recall furloughs. i.e. United expanding ORD ops by 15%. American and Northwest recalling and Delta reducing furloughs. I've also heard that Southwest and Jet Blue are hiring a bunch of guys this year. Comair supposedly opened the gates as well. I know this is not the total return to normal for the industry but for somebody like me that wants to be at EJ competition is quite stiff right now. Yall look into your crystal balls and let the wannabe know.

Thanks yall,
ip

no impact

Best guestimate I've seen is that it will be late 2003 into 2004 before the US airline industry is where it was 9/10/01 Projections for the 10 year period therafter are very good but like the weather, forecast accuracy and reliability falls off rapidly as time away from present increases.

As long as present security practices remain in effect or become even more onerous EJA and other corporate flying options will have a great future. I cannot see anyone with the money to spend (their own or more commonly someones else's e.g. corporate) putting up with the security in the main terminal and yet the real need to travel remains.

only impact of furloughs at the majors is on the pool of folks trying for a job and that pool remains large and well qualified regardless

tj

I agree with tj

I think it will be 2004 sometime before the majors are back to where they were capacity wise. As far as furlough recalls that may be a different story. Some airlines may be able to negotiate contract concessions from their unions during these tough times. Not only monetary concession but also work rule concessions which will enable the airlines to do the same amout of flying with less pilots or increase flying without adding any pilots. Again as TJ stated it all depends on alot of factors but if things slowly improve I think we could possibly see recalls start later on this year or early next year for some airlines. I think it will be late 2004 or 2005 until the last furloughee is back flying with their airline.

UalExpress-

I'm furloughed from USAirways and if I believed that I would be recalled by 2004-2005, then I'd be happy. However, most of the USairways furloughees believe that it will take longer for us to be recalled, if we are ever recalled.

pappy

You guys also forgot that a lower paying RJ job is the future at all the majors. In other words do not think you are going to make 747 money any time soon as a RJ will be doing all the flying. Look at Delta, they are at almost 40% RJ flying for all of thier routes. I hate to say it, but this is the future of airline flying and I am glad I am not a part of it anymore. Also remember if we all wanted the same job life would stink.

US A recalls

I do not believe any US A pilots will ever be recalled. I think Wolf is shrinking the operation to a size that can be merged with another carrier and get govt approval.

pappy said:
UalExpress-

I'm furloughed from USAirways and if I believed that I would be recalled by 2004-2005, then I'd be happy. However, most of the USairways furloughees believe that it will take longer for us to be recalled, if we are ever recalled.

pappy

Pappy

I only hope you do get recalled, as losing these jobs gives our future fellow pilots less jobs at the majors to aspire to. I do feel for you the US Air pilots..It is a shame that Wolf is allowed to destroy airline after airline for his own agenda and ofcourse money..

Please correct me with I am wrong..But were you guys told that once furloughed you would never return to US Air..This is the rumor going around...

Good luck on your hopefully future return to USAir..

UAL727

:( Just a curiosity question here guys. Please dont read anything into this. First of all, I'm a G.A. guy that went to the airlines "Eagle" and had to quit because I couldnt afford to keep the job. I have the most respect possible for anyone that made it to the majors level. So here it goes, you guys that have unfortunately been furloughed are you running into a lot of companies that want you to resign your numbers. If so, are you doing it. Just curious. I dont know what I would do in that situation.

Thanks
IP

"Please correct me with I am wrong..But were you guys told that once furloughed you would never return to US Air..This is the rumor going around... "

I am furloughed US Airways, and I still keep up with the dialog at the MEC/Negotiations and I have heard this (above statement) before. There is nothing official to that regard and conversely, the neg comm is trying to get a recall schedule as part of the RJ deal. But what does this mean to me.....6-7 years before recall. I don't think Mainline will expand A/C outside what they have and have coming...they will most likely merge or status quo with a code-share partner (UAL). So those that get recalled are only filling retirements and so forth. Speculation has it that we (newhires) were only there to cover the training float with the airbuses coming ....who knows but they got what they wanted.

This is all I know....could be wrong .....but its all I got...

Be safe.

David

InstructorPuke said:
:( Just a curiosity question here guys. Please dont read anything into this. First of all, I'm a G.A. guy that went to the airlines "Eagle" and had to quit because I couldnt afford to keep the job. I have the most respect possible for anyone that made it to the majors level. So here it goes, you guys that have unfortunately been furloughed are you running into a lot of companies that want you to resign your numbers. If so, are you doing it. Just curious. I dont know what I would do in that situation.

Thanks
IP

if you are on with one of the big 3...absolutely NOT! you can find so many jobs out there that pay more than an entry level flying job!!!! why would you give up your lottery number for a temp job? most guys work their entire lives to get a major lottery number...no one i know is going to give up their number...i wouldn't if i had one!

Latest resources

Back