• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Recalled to XJ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, and buy the way, the guys who are captains now are leaving every single month. Yes, there are some older guys in the top 100 who don't want to leave. You get that at any airline which is halfway OK. Nonetheless, Southwest is hiring like crazy, and I don't think there are any pilots at XJ who can't scrape together 2-10 solid rec letters at SW. If they don't make it to SW, we still have a good track record with FedEx, Continental, JetBlue, Spirit, AirTran, NetJets, etc. etc.

To say that the Captains aren't leaving is just ridiculous. They are leaving as fast as they can! Some are dragging their heels as they haven't filled out their logbooks in 5 years, and some over 50 guys don't see any point in going. But there are scores of them still trying to get out, and most of them will.

Last edited:
But most of that is just theory at this point. 2 year upgrade is just a guess. That assumes current attrition, and assumes the 900's come on time, and assumes the Saabs all will stay (which they won't). Remember we are supposed to have a bunch of CRJs right now too.

Granted, but saying "2 year upgrade" at ANY airline is speculative. At this point, as long as the ASA is honored there will be a MUCH shorter (possibly in the 2 year range) upgrade. Is that better than where you are? I dunno, personally I wouldn't give up senority to jump ship anywhere at a shot at faster upgrade, there are no guarantees. Your fastest chance may be here though, with the senority you bring back with you.

As far as my stats on attrition, this is actually a low number. We historically averaged 10 per month. In the recent year, it has been as high as 30 per month. There are a lot of us with apps out now too. I don't think that it will slow down for awhile.

I'm not trying to spin anything here... Just looking at the fact that we recalled all furloughs, starting hiring (promising June class dates), and cancelling vacations starting in April. Movement is going to happen here, and fast.

I harbor no ill will towards the xj pilot group. What a class act. Management pissed me off, and there is no reason for me to go back. I will upgrade at my current company in about a year and the pay will be better. I am proud of the time I spent there, and would have gladly waited to upgrade in the saab. I wish the xj pilots the best of luck. You deserve more than you were given.

I will be going back as soon as Fed-Ex gets me my package. But then again I live in base, granted the city and for that matter most of the state are falling apart around me, but that's another story. Plus going from 4 to at least 11 days off a month will be a big jump in QOL, not to mention reserve call out being 90 min instead of always being on reserve (and not counting it toward duty) with a 30 minute callout. True no more jet pic for me but hmm I got 60 hours since I upgraded in October... BFD. It's a bit of a paycut initially but when you factor in the bankruptcy claim and the tax free perdiem, I will actually make more to go back.
Yes it's a dirty old pink Saab, but the only difference between that and the C-550 is I can actually have a bit of elbow room in the Saab. Not to mention no more 1 am scramble calls....

CRJ900 delivery currently shows 1 in May, 2 per month afterwards, last one on the property 12/08. Over a year and a half for 36 airplanes. Who knows what else may be brought on board but treat the possibility of an upgrade like it is - a possibility - not a given.

For the love of Oprah!

Furloughees - if you are employed elsewhere and are in line for a 2 year upgrade, stay there! Don't even think of coming back. Even if XJ is awarded more aircraft, you're still going to be a slave of the corrupt NWA redtail and XJ's joke of a senior leadership team.

Prospective pilots - go elsewhere! Don't even think of coming here. There are better places that will do better for your career.

I'm so proud of the furloughees that have moved on and taken their Saab SIC type with them.

*** Disclaimer - The above opinions are from a 6.5+ year FO who's seen his career stall into oblivion. All I know is that I need 197 hours PIC-T until I am eligible for AirTran, 997 hours PIC-T until I'm eligible for Southwest, and if Continental calls tomorrow there will be one less disgruntled employee at XJ.

MM

I love how people are still talking about an upgrade at Mesaba going down to 2 years with attrition blah blah blah.... When I was on IOE my instructor told me man you are going to be a captain in 1.5 years with all the airplanes coming... about 9 months later I am on Furlough.

I don't care if you left a 900 number and are coming back a 650ish number. You will not upgrade in two years! I tell you what the folks at Mesaba that are still there ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE. Too much time invested now. Do not be a fool and think you will upgrade quick. Plus you have an older pilot group that was not going anywhere when the Avro was around. You think that Avro captains that down graded to the Saab liked it? Heck no! But now that the CRJ900's are there they got the planes they need to retire there. Think about it why would a guy in his mid to late 50's leave Mesaba? Same thing happened at Air Wis. Everyone that left because of the switch over to Us Air is already gone. Mass exoudus coming? I don't see it!

Bottom line everyone that would ever leave has already left. Yeah sure big hiring boom this year but that's every regional. And the seven year FO that is waiting around and finally upgrading is not leaving until he gets 1000 hours PIC. Then has to get hired thats going to take at least 1.5 years if not more!

Do youself a favor only go back if it severly adjusts your QOL like living in base.

Man I hope I am wrong! G'luck. Anyone want an ice cream cone?

Welcome back to XJ. I might be able to get you a traffic watch job on the weekend to earn extra $. See you at Pan AM.
Yes; I would like an ice cream cone.

Latest resources

Back