Really scared myself today...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thedude said:
The bigger question is...Did you learn something and can you now apply it?

I guess the biggest problem is properly judging height above the ground, and detecting rising/sinking early enough. I've been told that the perfect landing is one smooth motion of the yoke....continually and slowly pulling it back, farther and farther, just enough to keep it flying, until finally the yoke is all the way back and just then it makes contact. I only wish I could make landings like that. Usually I notice that I'm ballooning or something, and then it's like "oh sh*t better let that yoke forward", and so I do. But then it's "oh sh*t, I'm about to land on the nose, so I haul that yoke back hard. More often than not it actually results in a reasonably smooth touchdown. But the whole thing sure feels sloppy.

Mistakes are inevitable in aviation, especially when one is still learning new things. The trick is to not make the mistake that will kill you.​
— Stephen Coonts

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smit thee.​

— William Kershner

It's a good landing if you can still get the doors open.
— cliché

Last edited:
If you're uncomfortable with the airplane and the stall horn/light on at 15 feet (a pretty good drop for an airplane)....

Go around. Try again.

UA-RESURRECTED said:
when the stall light came on and I'm about 15' above the runway. I thought for sure I was gonna break something. Luckily, she actually came down pretty gently. Instructor didn't seem too worried. These guys have some balls....

Don't know exactly how I got in that situation. I'd guess that I iniatially applied too much back-pressure in the flare, and momentarily climbed back up a little bit. Then you run out of AS, but with a lot of reamining altitude. Scary stuff. I really hope I can get past this stuff. I have over 20 hours, and I can only hide behind the dumb student-pilot excuse for so long...
after you get your commercial and you get some stick time behind a 182 flying jumpers...you'll have butloads of takeoffs and landings; you'll look back on this situation and go, "shaaaazzzzzzaaaaaam!"

Oooops, gotta go...MSN just told me my rammstein album download is ready!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back