Reality Check for NetJets Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Publishers said:
...and there is the this sucks and I want to disrupt the goose that is laying the golden egg.
Dude. If you are gonna try and pan off a quote from Rick Dubinsky as one of your own then at least get is right. The Rick said, "I don't want to KILL the goose that lays the golden egg, I just want to strangle every last golden egg I can out of it."

Publishers said:
While I know it is not a good comparison- United pissed off all their business customers getting a contract that was detrimental to the companies future and weakened them to where they could not withstand any adversity. In the end, it cost people jobs and their stock.
Question: Was it the pilots who put a financial strain on UAL with the contract they negotiated or was it management? Management at that time was sooo busy licking each others butts over the proposed merger with US Airways and the revenue synergies that it would have reportedly created that:

1. The pilot salaries were totally justifiable and supportable IF the merger had been allowed.

2. The pilots didn't pull a fast one to get the contract. Rick made the offer, management accepted. Rick was completely shoked and prepared to take less but... oh well, what the hell.

Too bad the management teams at UAL and U didn't "have a plan B" because both MANAGEMENT TEAMS were spending money like a college kid in Cacun with his first credit card. It was a case of wreckless abandonment on mismanagements part.

Publishers said:
You can get all excited about the power thing -- call a strike, and, no they could not replace you en masse/ Then again they would probably not have to as I am not sure it would not help any chance of future expansion.
Oh. Are you in the know? How is the weather in CMH today??

"1. The pilot salaries were totally justifiable and supportable IF the merger had been allowed."

That statement is pure laughable. This contract only worsened the plight of United Airlines with or without a Merger!

rajflyboy said:
This contract only worsened the plight of United Airlines with or without a Merger!
I highlighted the most important word in your statement, just in case you failed to realize how important it really was. If every United employee (including senior management) had worked for free the year preceeding 9/11/01, the company still would have lost money.
So technically, you're right, the fact that any employee drew a salary (even if it was only $5/year) worsened the financial situation that management allowed the company to get into.

rajflyboy said:
"1. The pilot salaries were totally justifiable and supportable IF the merger had been allowed."

That statement is pure laughable. This contract only worsened the plight of United Airlines with or without a Merger!

In light of 9/11... yes you are right. In 2000 with a combined U/UAL (the good old days) the contract was expensive but doable. Revenue synergy was going to be huge. 1 + 1 = 5 in this case.

BUT... the merger never happened and UAL had the ship on autopilot for too long and ran aground when it became apparent that they had no plan B. Thank Glen Tilton for that and thank Stephen Wolf for the same at Airways.

Its basic math . if your company is losing 100's of millions and you take a huge raise your going to go into bankrupcy.

3rd grade math

rajflyboy said:
Its basic math . if your company is losing 100's of millions and you take a huge raise your going to go into bankrupcy.

3rd grade math
If your company is losing 100's of millions, even if you work for free, you're going to go into bankrupcy.

1st Grade Math

Bottom Line

Do not forget the bottom line. The reason many of the Frac owners went to NJA was to get out of the hassle of dealing with employees and doing business in a small flight dept. If the hassle returns in the way of NJA employees not wanting to work, the Frac owners are free to move away from the hassle. This will result in major job losses at NJA. In that case who will be the winner.

PilotYip:

Your right. If the customers go away NJA will not be around in its current form. I do see pilots at NJA treating customers like garbage on a daily basis. Customers will leave. I keep trying to spread the word!

Pilots don't get their paycheck from Management or the Union. Pilots ultimately get paid by the customer. Customer service needs to remain a Priority at Netjets!

Latest resources

Back