• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Real world Go-Arounds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just two days ago we were going into FLL. There was some heavy rain right over the field. Definately a return on the radar, but not real organized. We were on the downwind following an Airways 757. The wind was reported 230/05. We were landind 9L. A bit of tail wind, but not over our limit. As we were turning final there was a report of windshear, loss of 25 knots on 1 mile final. We were about 10 miles out so we continued for a bit. The 757 then went around. He said he lost the runway short final from heavy rain. The tower reported calm winds then so we continued for a bit more. At around 1000 ft, windshear was reported again. Loss of 20-25 knots short final, winds 230/13. I did not want to get out my crosswind chart so I elected to go around. I called it and the F/O did a great job flying it. We went straight ahead. The tower could have done a bit better job of support. I called that we were on the miss, they never responded. They then told some traffic on the ground that we were on a half mile final. I guess we were, but at 2,000ft by then. I called again. No answer so we started the published miss. Finally another voice responded, gave us 3,000ft and a left turn back to departure control. The subsequent approach and landing was basically in VMC with lt to mod rain on final.

It was one of those time when you get that feeling that you really don't want to be here. If you get that feeling trust it and get out. There is usually another approach available if not another airport. Pushing into a situation where you don't feel comfortable is just the beginning of a bad day....

Come on over to MSP sometime. I've done 2 go-arounds in the last 30 days due to traffic.

Even at LAX

Few years ago, watching planes at LAX at night around 11 pm.

I had my scanner and heard an AA MD-80 call "Lima" for 25L.(FAF)TWR.....No response.

30 sec later AA : "tower american ??? inbound 25L"

TWR......no response

AA for a third time and still no response.

A skywest emb-120 was holding short on 25R full lenght.

It also tried to call tower "tower american ??? is trying to call you"

No response.

The MD-80 was still approaching, got over the fence gave tower every chance to clear them. But had to go around.
AA called the go around to tower.
That finally got tower's attention, and said,

Tower: " Who is that going around?"

AA " we have been trying to talk to you for the last 5 miles."

TWR: Skywest ???? did you hera AA?"

Skywest ????: " yes, they were calling and so were we!"

Weather was clear, only two airplanes on the frequency, but makes you wonder what kept the controller occupied for so long.

I was shocked, even as a student pilot back then.....

Most people get burned ONCE by not mentally preparing for a go-around. In the sim they tend to go O.K. because you EXPECT to go around. On line go arounds don't happen very often. As a relativly low time FO you may never have had to go around because of WX or unexpected ATC request. Because of this your EXPECTATION is that you will land. After being burned, you mentally prepare for the miss (review calls and procedures silently to yourself), EXPECT the miss, and if you actually land, hey that's a bonus. You just need to shift your thinking from the expectation of a landing to the expectation of a miss. Once you get that into your normal mental prep a miss on line is cake!

The second, I was in a twin, the instructor was going to demo this takeoff, we were cleared to depart, I checked final as usual, and stomped on the brakes. There was another twin turning a close-in base-to-final. The instructor keyed the mike saying we were holding short as the tower was sending the other twin around. I'd hate to have been in that twin practicing single-engine approaches with the inop engine fully feathered.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Why in the world would you practice single-engine approaches with a fully feathered engine?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Isn't that what the zero thrust setting is for?

I'm with you Hydro... WTF is that guy thinking. If your single engine you should declare an emergency and a go around would be a last ditch procedure. I have heard of people doing this before though.

One evening at DEN earlier this year, the aircraft ahead of us landed long. Tower asked us to be ready for a go-around, but didn't command one. As the mains touched, tower called, "go-around, uh, oh, disregard"

I would have gone around on my own, but I could see the traffic had exited to the taxiway ten thousand feet away.

Which brings me to a question, is it legal for two aircraft to occupy the runway concurrently?

regards,
enigma

Which brings me to a question, is it legal for two aircraft to occupy the runway concurrently?

I thought I heard somewhere that it was ok as long as there is at least 3000' of separation between airplanes. Now I don't know how that will change with airplanes operating under different regulations, if at all. Maybe a controller or former controller could help us out here.

hydroflyer said:
I thought I heard somewhere that it was ok as long as there is at least 3000' of separation between airplanes. Now I don't know how that will change with airplanes operating under different regulations, if at all. Maybe a controller or former controller could help us out here.

I think I'll ask this on DOCsFAR board. I seem to remember hearing, a long time ago, that the separation required was 5000ft; but I could be wrong. Thanks for your response.

enigma

I'm certain you can't land if another a/c is on the rwy. Can't quote any reg, but I'm certain.

In Canada, twr can't clear you to land if another airplane is on the runway. The runway must be clear for the twr to clear you to land. Thats in our Canada Rules section of my airlines FOM. Although, I've had YYZ twr clear us to land when another a/c on the runway..so go figure.

I've had 2 go-arounds in CRJ. One due to tailwinds greater than 10kts in ORD when I was IOE. Actually, it was easy b/c I was right out of sim. If that happened 6 mos ago..watch out.

And another due to not breaking out on a VOR appr. In both cases, I wasn't flying...but both went fine...just really busy.

Now, I've had my share of TA's and RA's but thats another story.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back