Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Schicer

Homeless
Has anyone been called by SWA recently, who does not have turbojet time (aside from the 737 type)?

If you don't mind, let me set the bar a little higher.

Has any civilian been called lately that didn't have at least two thousand hours of turbojet PIC and a checkairman letter?

:)

I'd like to one up you too... Has anyone been called who has 2,000 Turbine PIC, Checkairman letter and flies Checks???

Times are a changing fellas, BUT, I was in Dallas earlier this year for my PC and went to a new hire party. An older guy in the new class had been flying a total of about 5 years and had only B1900 time. Not sure of his hours, but if you were trying to differentiate between turbojet and turboprop that does help somewhat. Keep doing what you're doing, keep your app updated, and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck. Unfortunately, you can expect hiring to slow quite a bit, if not stop, for 6 months or so as we implement (should it pass vote) some MORE productivity programs.

Thanks kelbill, and yes I was trying to differentiate between turbojet and turboprop.

Also, is it true that applicants are chosen based on computer fields (which change periodically), and not personal recommendation? Thus meaning us turboprop pilots may indeed get a call once the fields change? After the implementation of the proposed productivity programs…….of course.

Schicer,

I haven't the slightest idea about computer fields and what not impacting the hiring/interview process. Above my pay grade, but if they are trying to maintain a broad background in the pilot force, I would say it could be a player. I got in when they upped the points for slackers. I guess they weren't enough of us.

As for productivity programs, we are in the process of looking at flying a little more to help keep costs down. Unfortunately for hiring, it means a temporary hiatus in the near term. This assumes a. The new programs work, and b. We actually vote to approve some of them. Don't tell lowecur, or else a new thread will start titled "SWA to shut down training center". Trying to get average flying hours up to 70/mo. Close now, but close isn't good enough when we live and die on the margins.

The good news is that we are trying to stay lean and mean, and avoid any heartbreak down the road. No, we're not talking pay cuts, just talking incentives/programs to work a little more. When you do get hired here, you will sleep better at night knowing efficiency will help keep your job in the long run. Good luck, and as jparks said, SET LOVE FREE, www.setlovefree.com.

HAZ-MAT said:
I'd like to one up you too... Has anyone been called who has 2,000 Turbine PIC, Checkairman letter and flies Checks???

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night-sorry couldn't resist it.
:)

got hired w/ no turbojet time just turboprop. I've heard people say 1500-1700 PIC was competitive. just keep flying and updating the app. Your time will come.

Schicer said:
Thanks kelbill, and yes I was trying to differentiate between turbojet and turboprop.

Also, is it true that applicants are chosen based on computer fields (which change periodically), and not personal recommendation? Thus meaning us turboprop pilots may indeed get a call once the fields change? After the implementation of the proposed productivity programs…….of course.

Based on my experience SWA in no way favors for interviewing or hiring turbojet over turboprop. TONS of folks here have nothing but turbine/turboprop PIC, myself included. When I was hired I had about 2400 turbine PIC, checkairman, and a type.

Latest resources

Back