• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Erlanger

United flight diverts after captain and flight attendant argue
By Kieran Daly

United Airlines is conducting an internal investigation after one of its captains diverted a flight to deplane a senior flight attendant who he argued with.

Flight 842 from Sao Paulo, Brazil to Chicago O'Hare diverted to Miami early in the morning of 14 July midway through the scheduled non-stop flight of nearly eleven hours.

A source familiar with the incident says the captain ordered the purser of the Boeing 767 to leave the aircraft because he or she was "not respecting his authority".

The aircraft was on the ground for about an hour and arrived at Chicago just over an hour late.

A United spokeswoman says: "The pilot chose to divert the flight due to a crew issue"."

The captain felt the matter needed to be resolved on the ground, an FAA spokesman says. The aircraft landed without incident in Miami and was on the ground for less than hour before departing to Chicago, he adds.

Exact details of the incident have not been disclosed and United is investigating the matter to make sure that the decision to divert the aircraft was appropriate, the FAA spokesman says.

At the same time, FAA is investigating the incident to ensure that all diversion procedures were followed, he says.

Representatives for the Association of Flight Attendants (AFA-CWA) and the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA) chapters representing United flight attendants and pilots declined to comment as they did not have details about the incident.

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...verts-after-captain-and-flight-attendant.html

So why do you think he is a crybaby? Do you have the facts? It could have been something very serious. I say good for him. I have seen some FA's. do and say some pretty dumb stuff.

I don't usually do this.........

UAL had a guy walk off due to hurt feelings in SLC last year. PA and all!!!

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2008-06-20-upset-united-pilot_N.htm

......but I actually have to step up and defend this guy. His - so called - "brothers" at ALPA actually threatened his wife and children because he was wearing his hat to work. I think he did the right thing by going home to ensure the safety of his family. You can call it hurt feelings, but he should not have his 1.95% go to a union that threatens his family. Another case of ALPO out of control.

Yes, I did mean to spell it ALPO.

So why do you think he is a crybaby? Do you have the facts? It could have been something very serious. I say good for him. I have seen some FA's. do and say some pretty dumb stuff.

I put something on the other string about this incident, but I'll repeat myself.
No question a few flight attendants do some pretty dumb stuff, so do some pilots. The Captain is supposed to be the one were the buck stops. He is the ones that handle the problems that arise. If a flight Attendant is being an idiot, you right them up. I can't think of anything a flight attendant could do that would justify making an unscheduled landing.

A Captain is the one person totally responsible for dealing with whatever happens that effects the flight he is in command of, whether it's an engine fire or dysfuntional flt attendant (or F/O or mechanic or anyone else). He is the one that needs to be the adult and deal with any situation that arises even if a co-worker isn't. The world is full of all kinds of people with all kinds of problems, people go through divorces, have serious medical issues with themselves or a family member, etc, etc, sometimes it gets the best of them and they say or do things they feel stupid about later. It's called life. You deal with it and you rise above dysfunctional bahavior, not throw a hissy fit and divert.
Diverting because you don't like someone's behavior seems to me a pretty strong indication that he doesn't have the maturity to command an airliner. This job isn't about doing it when everything goes right, it's about doing the job effectively when things don't go right. Obviously dealing with a flt attendant with a hair up her (his?) arse was too much for him.

Last edited:
......but I actually have to step up and defend this guy. His - so called - "brothers" at ALPA actually threatened his wife and children because he was wearing his hat to work. I think he did the right thing by going home to ensure the safety of his family. You can call it hurt feelings, but he should not have his 1.95% go to a union that threatens his family. Another case of ALPO out of control.

Yes, I did mean to spell it ALPO.

While I certainly agree that threatening someone's family is way out of line, that isn't ALPA doing that, it's some jerks that happen to be in ALPA. For sure plenty of mistakes have been made over the years, but the bottom line is, being an airline pilot is as good as it is thanks to ALPA. As many hit's as our profession has taken, it got as good as it did because of ALPA and if not for ALPA, I'm guessing it would be way worse.

A liitle presumptuous for someone from SWA calling ALPA, ALPO. For years SWA grew while working harder for less money than the pay and retirement benefits ALPA fought so hard for over the years. You guys have been able to elevate your pay because of the payrates ALPA fought for over the years. If ALPA hadn't been there, we would all be working for less.

FWIW, I'm not bashing SWA, it's a dog eat dog industry out there and hat's off to you guys doing a good job in creating a good airline with a good product. But don't put down the one thing that has done more than anything else to protect the working conditions and compensation of airline pilots.

True

While I certainly agree that threatening someone's family is way out of line, that isn't ALPA doing that, it's some jerks that happen to be in ALPA. For sure plenty of mistakes have been made over the years, but the bottom line is, being an airline pilot is as good as it is thanks to ALPA. As many hit's as our profession has taken, it got as good as it did because of ALPA and if not for ALPA, I'm guessing it would be way worse.

A liitle presumptuous for someone from SWA calling ALPA, ALPO. For years SWA grew while working harder for less money than the pay and retirement benefits ALPA fought so hard for over the years. You guys have been able to elevate your pay because of the payrates ALPA fought for over the years. If ALPA hadn't been there, we would all be working for less.

FWIW, I'm not bashing SWA, it's a dog eat dog industry out there and hat's off to you guys doing a good job in creating a good airline with a good product. But don't put down the one thing that has done more than anything else to protect the working conditions and compensation of airline pilots.

You make a good point Dan. And you probably were around when ALPA was doing good things. I was a dues-paying member of ALPA from 98-2005, and I really didn't see much good come from ALPA at that time. And I haven't see a whole lot of good things since I left.

Presumptuous no, but I respect your right to an opinion.

You make a good point Dan. And you probably were around when ALPA was doing good things. I was a dues-paying member of ALPA from 98-2005, and I really didn't see much good come from ALPA at that time. And I haven't see a whole lot of good things since I left.

Presumptuous no, but I respect your right to an opinion.

Did you expect growth from 2001-2005?

Latest resources

Back