• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ready to pursue dream

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Be sure you want a to build an airplane first. It sounds like you want an airplane, not a multi-year project. The CJ-6 is a really fun airplane.

If you want a project then, as a builder of one of the less common kits, I'd highly recommend getting either an RV or a Lancair and get the fast build options. It sounds like you'd be very happy with the RV-8.

Have fun,

Scott

mmmm multi year - there have been a few that have built their cozies in under 18 months, nights and weekends. depends how motivated you are. oh yeah - they had NO experience. Home builds are funny - most kits take longer than some plans built planes.

the only way to know is to find builders and ask them, on the finishing - some new techniques are substantially reducing the sand/fill/sand/fill routine

but don't believe me - i'm just a cozy builder and my mind is jaded

Yeah, I hear ya. I know people who built their long-eze's in less than a year, but the RV and lancair kits are so good now that it's hard to reccommend otherwise.

Scott

for me it is easy to recommend otherwise. the cozy is a 2+2 and is capable of taking 2 with allot of baggage just about anywhere. the plane is also inexpensive - compared to the RV10. the other RV are 2 pas with no room for storage. the 10 also takes a 300 hp to go slower than a cozy on 180 hp. the fuel bill for the extra 120 hp is quite a bit.

you can build a cozy airframe for around 16 to 18 grand, then spend what you want on engine and avionics, they have been completed for 35,000 recently. i am spending about 80 or 90 on mine, but that is by choice.

is the lancair 2 or 4 passenger and how much is the cost? i believe the rv10 starts at about 50,000?? not sure.

but most important - you gotta love it to finish it

RV-7. Tex has a great RV community and the support you'll have is second to none. It's a great airplane that you'll never lose money on when you go to sell it. Your wife will like the side by side aspect.

Check with Vans, if you want a nosewheel model, you lose only a few knots of airspeed and the tailwheel aspect is gone.

It's really what you're describing in your needs list. You won't be sorry.

Good luck.

:( Hmm, looks like some posts were deleted... Must have drifted from the topic.

The more I look at the RV series, the more impressed I am. Other AC may be cheaper, or faster, but I don't think they have the support and the available networking of Van's.

I'm down to the RV7 or RV8. Basically tandem vs side/side seating. I'm trying to talk my wife into tandem, and so be able to enjoy that awesome panoramic view, although not so awesome in the back seat!

There's an excellent forum for RV's:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/index.php

So much info, my head is spinning a bit. This looks to be one of those projects where it is best to start plugging away on the easy stuff (empennage), and absorb by osmosis enough knowledge to make sound decisions on powerplant, airframe mods, and avionics.

Swede said:
:( Hmm, looks like some posts were deleted... Must have drifted from the topic.

but I don't think they have the support and the available networking of Van's.

mmmm - know you are set on aluminum, but have to make point where needed - 1700 canards flyin and the support is there, i know, i'm part of that support network

DustMaker said:
mmmm - know you are set on aluminum, but have to make point where needed - 1700 canards flyin and the support is there, i know, i'm part of that support network

I don't disagree. Most of the composite designs out there are works of art. They are lighter and more efficient than aluminum. I've had Lancair lust for years. It's too bad they seem to have evolved into a high-priced, high-powered company. At least from what I've gathered, they dropped their original design. Their "low-end" Legacy uses a lousy IO-550! What happened to the 160 HP Lancairs?

I do like the canards... I just prefer the traditional configuration a bit more.

In the end, my decision is based mostly upon my own background as a metal guy. It's probably like a wood and fabric mechanic from the 1920's being asked to work on newfangled aluminum plane in 1935. There's going to be some resistance! Aluminum is just what I'm used to.

Latest resources

Back