Read This Please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyhighordie

I have not checked this board for some time and spent the last day reading back all kinds of stuff people have posted from contract stealing to rfp's to what pilot group is bad and who is good. what is extremely agonizing is i am realizing each day that we as pilot professionals are losing our ethics and allegiance to one another. we take stabs at one another when in fact the CORPORATE manager is sipping the coffee taking long lunches being able to take the afternoon off to go to the dentist making the decisions to undercut another company for the simple pleasure of placing a stake in the ground and calling it success.

what do we do???? we take it, for what reason i don't know besides the love of flying or the simple fact that we enjoy the abuse. my father is a retired pilot from the pool of guys where it used to be a respected rewarded profession. 15 days off, good pay, good benefits. i talked to him about this and he feels we as pilots are doing it to ourselves. WE ARE!!!!!!!!!!

we blame delta for stress and fatigue, we blame CHQ for taking on new flying, but unless we could all unite and make that useless ALPA union and dues woth somethig and perhaps all of us across the board decide not to go to work one day, i think it would create a national crisis. i think the government would wake up and realize that the fuel tax imposed on airlines makes it nearly imposible to opperate, and until the general public in this country realizes that paying $199 roundtrip to Disney World is the same price payed in the 80's and are willing to pay at least an inflated price on pace with everything else such as milk and bread, the airlines will compete for the customer and take it out of us. its useless for us to be angry with each other, its time to reflect and look at what our schedules have become and our duty times and divide that paycheck and realize we are far below the poverty level. don't blame GO JET or MEsa, they would not be in business without pilots. management gets paid equally everywhere wheather you manage a record shop, a bank or an airline. LETS blame ourselves for a change, look in the mirror in the morning and realize we are supposed to be rational, cognitive individuals equipped with good decission making ability and willigness to take responsibility for our actions and the lives we transport.

in closure, I blame myself, and if i get enough feedback out of this post, i will start a website, no membership required, non profit, to see what we can do for ourselves and our fellow men and women, without blaming each other or the companies. we have the contracts we know the contracts the airlines can't fly without us, and ATP can't train a pilot in 90 days like they claim.

write any thoughts, but don't blame any company for screwing us, write a positive approach to what we can do, and we can DO IT>>>>

Amen!

I agree, yet the problem is old school, how are we to change? Shall it be with a small number of followers hopefully gathering enough momentum to change the greater issues we seek to impact?

It seems as if once the snowball started down the hill it has become near to impossible to reverse. I am not saying lets not start, I am just saying this is a huge task and one which requires huge sacrafices and centralization of a single ideology for all pilots. I praise you for your thoughts but I can't imagine how to start such a "movement" of change.

P2J

I don't think it would take a great deal of effort.
All we need is across the board pay rates for the airplanes we fly. If the pilot costs are the same, management will be forced to improve the company to win "new flying" and grow the company. Besides, when have pilots ever bid on new flying or growth. We don't! If pilots stood together, we could take these so called pay cuts for growth out of the equation. Let missmanagement find cuts from their wastefulness and get their hands out of my pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jjlaw1 said:
All we need is across the board pay rates for the airplanes we fly.

How do you propose that gets done? I think it's going to be much harder than you think. Too many 500 hour wonders out there wanting your seat for less than you make. The only way this gets done is through one, nationwide seniority list a la a guild. not what we have now. ALPA groups stabbing ALPA groups in the back for "their" flying.

If the pilot costs are the same, management will be forced to improve the company to win "new flying" and grow the company.

Agreed.

Besides, when have pilots ever bid on new flying or growth. We don't! If pilots stood together, we could take these so called pay cuts for growth out of the equation. Let missmanagement find cuts from their wastefulness and get their hands out of my pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed again, but I still contend that without one seniority list, it'll never happen in our lifetime.

AF :cool:

I'm in. I'd like to see this thread grow at least half as long as the last "so and so stole my flying!@" bitchfest. Not holding my breath.

The across the board pay rates would never be allowed and neither would a national seniority list. The only way to save this business is to allow global companies to purchase the US airlines. That would ease some of the market influences that destablize this industry. It really isn't about pilot pay, but more about companies that have a lower cost structure. The market value of tickets was below that of the operational costs. The companies went through and are now generating profit on the backs of their employees and creditors. The future of this business is all LCC's and this is what has happened. Now the next company to go lower will start the process all over again.

Having a national pay rate is a dangerous thing for pilots because unless it is under federal law, you leave your company open to attack. You will even have less job stability and the process will be much much worse for everyone. This is a deregulated airline business, and this is what it has become.

For starters, ALPA (or who ever) needs to have a standerd contract ( for the most part). I would like to see a standard pay rate, duty rigs, days off ect. All I am saying is lets take the wip sawing out of managements hands. That is the only power they have over us. I think it is time to take that away from them.

Latest resources

Back