Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flopgut

RE: Age 65. Food for Thought

Should age 60+ pilots be bidding their full seniority? Consider: After the CAL strike, pilots who returned were not allowed to bid their full seniority for 2 years. I suppose there are many reasons for this. But the result was a smoother transition for the many different pilot groups that made up CAL after the interruption of rightful seniority progression. Which is no less than what has happened with 65, and 65 is no less outside the CBA than the strike was. The difference: There was no union in place and no contract. If you've been marginalized by 65 (majority of us) consider what took place in the past. It breaks my heart to point this out, but if we had no union and no contracts, age 65 probably would have been handled more like the aftermath of the CAL strike and there would be fewer furloughs and less detriment being felt by a majority of airline pilots.

Re-cap: In a no union/no contract environment, replacement worker pilots were treated better than ALPA furloughs are now? Somebody prove me wrong. I'm just putting an idea out there as part of my effort at getting re-inspired in ALPA.

I think experienced pilots should be surplused to the bottom of the seniority list until all furloughs are back. Then let them bid 50% of their full seniority.

Last edited:
I agree with you. But there's what is and what should be. With ALPA's support (even though the majority of the membership voted against it when we were asked) this became law. Just U.F.B. Anyhow, good luck changing it....

Give up, Floppy. Age 60 isn't EVER coming back. The regulatory age is 65. Get it? 65. And NO one is going to get aboard with punishing senior people for the benefit of newbies.

We've all faced adversity in our careers. This is their adversity. And they'll be better in the long run for it.

Give it up.

Give up, Floppy. Age 60 isn't EVER coming back. The regulatory age is 65. Get it? 65. And NO one is going to get aboard with punishing senior people for the benefit of newbies.

We've all faced adversity in our careers. This is their adversity. And they'll be better in the long run for it.

Give it up.

Boomers...good times.

Give it up.

Just getting ahead of the push for 70.

Don't worry, that'll probably happen too. Something along the lines of "age discrimination."

Give it up.

Hey try not to give away more scope, or pay and nobody will mind if you die trying to reach age 65 in the left seat.

Don't worry, that'll probably happen too. Something along the lines of "age discrimination."

I don't disagree.

I'm verbalizing this thought because I'm not sure I've got it right. It would appear, at a time where no union and no contract prevailed, a situation's similiar effect was managed to a more balanced outcome.

Is this correct?

Is this is about age discrimination, why is age for the ATP set at 23? Why not 18...or lower? Why not lower the PPL age to 12?

Latest resources

Back