Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
What is the "norm" for paying a pilot to ferry a newly purchased C-182 (or similar)
from Point A to Point B?

thanks

it depends on how far point A is from point B and how long it will take to safely fly between the two.

I am not talking ferrying it from Greece to US

Memphis to San Antonio type of thing

I wasnt saying Greece to the US, but some flights are quite long and time consuming. Thats why I said it depends on the distance, if the trip can be done in one day, bill him for your hourly time. If you have to remain overnight then you are talking hotel rooms, meals, also fuel becomes an issue as well.

Within the continental US, I would charge 200 dollars a day plus expenses (fuel, oil, charts, 2 meals a day, lodging if nescessary). Tell me what the origin and destination are, and I would work up a quote, and would discuss it with you if it looks like I will exceed it by more than 10%. You are responsible for my fee and any costs associated with mechanical delays, but only aircraft related fees (ramp, overnight fees, etc) for weather delays. Type of transportation to return me to the point of origin is negotiable, but it must also be included. The aircraft must be up to date on all inspections and AD's, and I will review the mx logs before departure. It must not be on any sort of ferry permit, unless it is required for a ferry fuel system. I reserve the right to walk away from the aircraft if I find it unairworthy, or unsafe, and we cannot come to an agreement as to how we will solve it. In that case, it will be yours from where ever that point is. Payment is required in full at the time of delivery.

rumpletumbler said:
It would only be a 4 hour trip in a 182.
1/2 day work = 1/2 day price.

I usually plan on working from 7 am to 7pm. To be fair, I pro rate. I didn't see the San Antonio - Memphis post until later.

Last edited:
satpak77,

Just a reminder to make sure you will be covered by the plane's insurance or your own insurance for doing the ferry. If you are not, the risk is not worth the money for doing it. Even if something was not your fault the costs in defending yourself in the inevitable lawsuit from the insurance company seeking subrogation can break even a large piggybank. Best of luck.

KlingonLRDRVR

Latest resources

Back