Random SWA questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

New SWA Wife

Some things I've been wondering about. Curious what your opinions are.

1. What does WN stand for? (No, I'm not an airhead.) Is there somewhere that explains all the abbreviations?

2. Do you think SWA will need to install some sort of TV, or at a minimum, satellite radio in their jets to keep customers happy? Almost seems like a standard now and I know I (if the price was even and my husband didn't work for SWA) would rather have the entertainment.

3. I saw in another thread that SWA will be going over water soon. Where exactly would that be to? How far can a 737 go? Is there a plan to get more of an extended range 737 to go international (or can it already)?

4. Anything else or other inputs are for a newbie are appreciated.

Thanks,
the "Whiff"

3. I saw in another thread that SWA will be going over water soon. Where exactly would that be to? How far can a 737 go? Is there a plan to get more of an extended range 737 to go international (or can it already)?
One thing it will allow them to do is fly the Gulf Routes (Q-routes) over the Gulf of Mexico from New Orleans or Houston to Tampa or Fort Lauderdale. As of now, I believe, they still follow the gulf coast line when flying these routes.

Last edited:
Rythm3 said:

One thing it will allow them to do is fly the Gulf Routes (Q-routes) over the Gulf of Mexico from New Orleans or Houston to Tampa or Fort Lauderdale. As of now, I believe, they still follow the gulf coast line when flying these routes.

Last edited:
New SWA Wife said:

1. What does WN stand for? (No, I'm not an airhead.) Is there somewhere that explains all the abbreviations?

2. Do you think SWA will need to install some sort of TV, or at a minimum, satellite radio in their jets to keep customers happy? Almost seems like a standard now and I know I (if the price was even and my husband didn't work for SWA) would rather have the entertainment.

4. Anything else or other inputs are for a newbie are appreciated.

Thanks,
the "Whiff"
2. I agree that in-flight television entertainment is excellent and likely is the future at some point. However something you will grow to appreciate at Southwest is their ability to analyze the millions of plus and minuses of service and how it effects the bottom lines, customer satisfaction and profitability and end up being right the vast majority of the time. At this point you have to assume that SWA has done the math and sees that the system will not add additional passenger revenue or good will to match the additional cost of the system. Be sure that if in the future that equation changes that SWA would aggressively pursue such a system for all its aircraft.

3. SWA's addition of passenger and crew life vests (not rafts) allows the overwater distance from shore to increase to 162 miles from the current 50 miles on some routes. This will allow SWA to fly more direct routes between several of its current cities. Overwater flying will currently impact approximately 18 city pairs and 500 flights a week. This will allow SWA to put 71 hours per week or almost 1 aircraft back into the schedule saving between $1.5 and $2.5 million a year. SWA will spend approximately $6M on this project and will recoup their investment within 3-4 years. Again see my answer to #2 and understand why SWA does anything. There is no plan at this time to go international, to get ETOPS (extended overwater ops) or any other such thing but if it ever fit the need of the company (and I am not saying it ever will) I trust that they would aggressively pursue it.

Last edited:
New SWA Wife said:

1. WN is our airline code that was assigned by IATA. I think they come up with and assign the code. Although SW isn't assigned now, maybe it was in 1971. As far as why they chose WN, who knows. Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IATA_Airline_Designators#W

2. I personally don't think we need to install any of these systems, but as a WN drink slinger/trash picker upper I don't make those decisions (thankfully). I think that is a big expense for the company when we need to be focusing on cutting costs. It may seem like the standard now, but we don't operate by other airline standards. Plus, there should be a complimentary copy of Spirit Magazine in your seatback pocket. If not, just ask your flight attendant. Still need to be entertained? If I'm working the flight just call me over, I know a few good dirty jokes.

2. I'm glad we don't have them. Apparently jetBlue is already replacing their current screens with bigger ones and selling the old ones to Airtran. So, after 5 years their technology is out of date, sounds expensive.
Also, Ipod just launched their video viewer. It won't be long before everyone that just has to have video to survive a 2 hour flight will be bringing their own (which was one of the reasons they mentioned in my new hire class 1.5 years ago that we'd probably hold off). I think the airplane TVs may end up like the airplane phones of yesteryear, outdated and useless. Maybe we'll do something like wireless internet at some point, seeing as it will not involve 137 seats worth of wiring (weight) only a central receiver and transmitter somewhere in the roof structure. Just my opinion.

3. also will let us get out of FLL and PBI up north when they close down the two departures that stay overland due to thunderstorms.

firstthird said:
2. I'm glad we don't have them. Apparently jetBlue is already replacing their current screens with bigger ones and selling the old ones to Airtran. So, after 5 years their technology is out of date, sounds expensive.
Also, Ipod just launched their video viewer. It won't be long before everyone that just has to have video to survive a 2 hour flight will be bringing their own (which was one of the reasons they mentioned in my new hire class 1.5 years ago that we'd probably hold off). I think the airplane TVs may end up like the airplane phones of yesteryear, outdated and useless. Maybe we'll do something like wireless internet at some point, seeing as it will not involve 137 seats worth of wiring (weight) only a central receiver and transmitter somewhere in the roof structure. Just my opinion.

Never really thought about this but after reading your post, yikes....you do have a point. I don't know how any company can keep up with updating the technology. Just yseterday, I was on a US 757 from charlotte to phl and overheard a couple of people seated ahead of me complain about the television monitor. Can you imagine what it would cost airways to regularly replace those while trying to provide a low fare for pax.

...I think the wireless thing is a good idea...just a little bit of cost for one unit that many can use per flight.

...the company that can offer free wireless internet while flying gets my vote. Can you imagine posting on flightinfo while J/Sing home?

Latest resources

Back