• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ramp Check!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Engine Inspection (Reference: CFR 23 Subpart E powerplant) (39 items)
1. Engine data plates matches type certificate CFR 45.13
2. Proper engine installed per type certificate or STC CFR 23.901
3. Engine/propeller per type certificate of STC CFR 43
4. Certification of instruments and engine accessories installed with 337's CFR 4l5.15/ 23.1305/ 23.1543/ 23.1309/ 23.
5. Engine cowl loose/missing hardware by location CFR 23.1193
6. Firewall bent, racked or missing fasteners CFR l23.1191
7. Engine mount structure for cracks, dents and condition CFR 23.901
8. Engine shock mount for cracks, worn, condition 23.901
9. Flex tubing condition CFR 23.1183
10. Clamps installation and type CFR 23.993
11. Engine oil leaking (location) CFR 43
12. STC for air filter bracket if installed & Form 337 CFR 43
13. Condition of baffle seals and installation and type of material
14. Propeller seal leaking CFR 23.907
15. Propeller clearance CFR 23.925
16. Propeller for nicks, cracks, and damage AC 43.13-2B para 8-73
17. Propeller spinner for cracks or missing screws (none allowed), nuts safety wired. Service letter reference
18. Propeller grinding on rotation AC43.13-1B para 8-2 (c)(2)
19. Propeller nuts properly torqued CFR Appendix D
20. Wire chafing, fuel lines, no wires under fuel lines AC43.13-1B
21. Electrical wire maximum 1/2-inch slack between supports AC43.13-1B
figure 11.9
22. Engine/electric fuel pump and wiring condition
23. Ignition harness condition
24. Starter ring condition of teeth
25. Alternator/generator drive belts condition
26. Cracked cylinder fins and rocker cover leaks (locations)
27. Exhaust system cracks, defects and installation (location)CFR
28. Muffler cracks or leaks pressure tested CFR 23.1121
29. Carburetor heat box condition of holes. proper hardware, screws and nuts CFR 23.1121
30. Engine controls safetied and checked for travel AC 43.13-1B para 7-122 thru 127
31. Injection fuel lines checked. Recurring AD at 100 hours CFR 39
32. Fuel bowl leak CFR 23.999
33. Fuel lines condition, movement/clamping CFR 23.993 & AC 43.13-1B para 8-31
34. Carburetor security, throttle arm/ bushings condition
35. Crankcase for cracks, leaks and security of seam bolts
36. Differential compression test, 80psi/60 psi cylinder CFR 43 appendix D & AC 43.13-1B
paragraph 8-14 25% difference means problems
37. Vacuum pump lines, clamps, condition
38. Supercharger overall condition
39 Oil filter opening placard CFR 23.1557(c) (2)

Aircraft Records and Owner Responsibilities (6 items)
1. Have the aircraft inspected CFR 91 subpart E
2. Owner SHALL insure appropriate maintenance entries are recorded CFF 91.405(b) & 43.9/11
3. Receive a copy of any form 337 for maintenance performed on aircraft CFR 43 appendix B (a)(2)
4. Work performed by persons authorized CFR 91.405
5. Between inspections discrepancies repaired CFR 91.405
6. Keep records until work is repeated or superseded by other work or for 1 year after the work is performed CFR 91.4l17(b)(1)

Aircraft Inspection (23 items)
Some of reported items were found on new and low time aircraft that verifies the importance of a thorough pre-flight

--Aileron control cable not over pulley
--Aileron cable improperly installed in bellcrank - cable retaining pin was installed
--Bolts loose on the vertical and horizontal stabilizer fin attachments
--Broken and cracked electrical terminals
--Control cable turnbuckles not sifted
--Flap follow-up cable chafing on brake line
--Foreign items in fuel cells/tanks
--Fuel lines twisted, bent, kinked thus obstructing flow
--Fuel lines chafing due to inadequate clamping
--Incorrect propeller bolts installed
--Jam nuts drilled but no safety wire installed
--Lock clips missing from control cable turnbuckles
--Loose rivets in horizontal stabilizer leading edge
--Main wheel tires do not clear wheel bays
--Numerous drill chuck marks in aft face of pressure bulkhead. Required replacement.
--Oil lines leaking at connections
--Primer line "T" fitting not installed
--Propeller blade retention ferrules under torqued
--Right elevator trim cable wrapped around right primary rudder control cable
--Rivet holes drilled but rivets not installed in several different
areas
--Rudder cable bellcrank attachment bolts loose
--Rudder cable bolts fitted upside down
--Unreliable fuel quantity indications

Ramp Check

I had the easiest ramp check ever the other day. I pulled up on the ramp, the FAA Inspector was waiting! He conducted the outside check as the Passengers were deplaning. Then came aboard to ask for my certificates. I asked if this would take long as we wanted to go to Lunch. !! Pasta Day at the Delta Cafeteria!!!!!!! He finished and then gave us a ride to the the Terminal - What a guy! Come check me again when I need a ride to lunch.

Yes you should file an ASRS/NASA report

If you report to ASRS, then if you get a letter from the FAA in a few days charging you with operating or instructing in an unairworthy airplane. you will have as one of our options the opportunity to escape any certificate action. Your student should file one as well.

It would be complete bull$hit for you to be cited for this, but there is the occasional FAA guy with an attitude and no sense of humor or common sense. Hopefully that wont be the case with your situation but if it is you have another tool to use - all for the price of a postage stamp

And of course if someone alleged that you operated an unairworthy airplane, I am certain that your alleged transgression was " inadvertant and non-deliberate" - therefore I do suggest you send a ASRS form

Hi, I'm from the FAA and I'm here to help!

Re: "Check Six"

JediNein said:
...stating that the directive came from on high. Terrorists, an incredible training accident rate (3 MEIs seriously injured or killed along with their students, totalling 3 aircraft in the last three weeks in our area alone + 3 applicants on checkrides landing gear up), and general "prove that we are doing something" are the causes.

What are they putting in the air where you live? That seems like an abnormally high number of accidents/incidences for a specific area. The 3 gear-up landings on checkrides is what really has me puzzled. Is the examiner too intimidating or something?

P.S. Thanks for the sample ramp check checklist. That's a big help on what to really expect. I'm not surprised that they are stepping up the number of these checks due to a number of reasons.

JediNein-

Were all three accidents from the same school? That would get the FAA's attention.

We are killing our profession with this kind of stuff happening.

Often this kind of accident is the outcome from 'certificate-oriented' training instead of training to actually LEARN the required skills. Too often the MEI is earned right along with the other CFI tickect, and little respect is paid to the fact that multi training can kill you quicker than just about any other type.

A sufficiently skilled CFI is required to prevent this. Not just one with an fresh MEI. Spped kills, when it comes to training.

This also should shut anyone up who thinks that working as a CFI is a nowhere job when there are PFT jet jobs available. This is a serious job, and I have seen too many people regard it as the fast-food job of aviation. A good CFI is worth more than a good airline pilot,any day.

You may avert future ramp checks by telling the inspector that the airplane is grounded. If it is a flight school airplane I am sure you can find some minor little discrepancy to squawk and have maintenance fix it. Be sure to say that the problem occurred during flight (i.e. the armrest broke) or, if he gets you during your walk-around find something wrong.

I haven't tried this myself, but a CFI buddy of mine worked this angle a few years ago. The Feds can't ramp check an airplane that has an unrectified maintenance discrepancy. It needs to be deemed airworthy and signed off by an A&P first.

Cheers,
Skyking:cool:

Paranoia

boxcar said:
You guys are paranoid! If the inspector considered the discrepencies serious enough to affect airworthiness, he/she would have issued a written statement (Condition Notice) saying the discrepencies needed to be fixed before further flight. In the absence of that, he/she was trying to be helpful by pointing out minor gripes that might have occured inflight or were missed during preflight. No matter how serious the problems were, in order to process a violation the inspector must prove the discrepencies existed during the time the airplane was flown. This is hard to do and isn't worth the time and trouble unless you're on their s**t list.
I stated above that Batman should not worry unless he gets an FAA letter. However, I believe that a little paranoia is reasonable. Stories abound about the FAA's zealousness. Once it starts the paperwork ball rolling, it's hard to stop it. Or the clearing process can run amuck. Even though you might search your records and uncover nothing, there may be a piece of paper lurking somewhere just waiting to be found that could impair your career.

I greatly appreciate the comment above about the value of a CFI. As the saying goes, " . . . . . . the CFI is G-d!" :)

here's what you say to the fed as you finish the ramp check. Ask him "are there any violations on this aircraft or me if I take off". If he answers "no" then go fly!
he cannot lie.

Latest resources

Back