Ramp Check Medical

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sky37d

I got ramp checked today, and didn't have my medical with me. Any guess as to how much trouble I am now in?
Interestingly enough, the guy in the right seat didn't have his medical with him either.

§ 61.3 Requirement for certificates, ratings, and authorizations.
(c) Medical certificate.
(1) Except as provided for in paragraph (c)(2) of this section, a person may not act as pilot in command or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft, under a certificate issued to that person under this part, unless that person has a current and appropriate medical certificate that has been issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the Administrator, which is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.

That part you already know. Nuff said.

I got ramped once upon a time, just returning from ferrying an airplane back for maintenance. I'd been gone just a little while, and left my jacket in the FBO. My wallet lived in my jacket. I tried to get the inspector up to the FBO while making distracting chit-chat, and was unable. He screamed. Literally. He yelled,and bellowed, and hollared. He told me he was going to see my career end, would see my certificates revoked. Waved his Form 110A and yapped a lot. In the end, he noted that I was right (more to the story, but doesn't apply here), that I'd win on appeal and it would take a year or so, and could affect my career...and then said he might just do it for spite anyway. He stormed out of the building, and I never heard from him again.

How was the inspector, in your case?

Hard to say. "How much" trouble, if any, depends on a lot of stuff other than the simple fact that you didn't have your medical on you. The "lot of stuff" ranges from avbug's question about the inspector's attitude to whether there has been a recent "epidemic" of pilot not carrying the proper documents to airport security issues to your attitude during the ramp check to...

Did you get the inspectors name and contact info? If so, how about calling him/her and also faxing him/her a copy of your medical? They can also go online and see your info. Bet they already did that. I got caught fishing once and didn't have my license on me, but I took it by the courthouse the next day and everything was ok. I know that's different, but it's an easy fix if you be nice.

I keep all of my certificates, medical, insurance, AOPA card :)rolleyes: ), etc. in one envelope that ALWAYS stays with my flight gear.

I knew one guy who didnt bring his medical to a practical and got the pink slip before the oral even started.

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I would recommend that you get real serious about damage control. If you're a member of the AOPA and subscribed to their legal services plan, now would be the perfect time to give them a call. If you're not a member it would probably be wise to contact an aviation attorney. You can do a search for recommendations for people in your situation - there have been some recent (within the past few years) magazine articles dealing with this topic. Remember, the outcome will be largely dependent upon what steps you take now. Good luck to you.

LS

Sorry to hear about that sky37d.

You do need to seek professional aviation legal advice before speaking to the FAA again. Act quickly. Follow advice of council. If contacted By the FAA prior to receiving said legal advice, do not discuss the matter with them directly until you have. Make an appointment to discuss the matter at a later time without disclosing your intention to engage the services of an attorney. There are many good reasons why someone may be unable to speak about it right at this very moment.

You have a time critical matter to deal with, don't wait to act! There may still be a way to prevent this from becoming an enforcement action. I certainly cannot give you legal advice of this nature, but I can tell you that this type of matter can be concluded in some cases without an enforcement action. This usually requires a proactive stance with the inspector prior to him forwarding the matter up the chain. This is a matter for an attorney with significant experience in counciling and negotiating in these matters as well as adjudicating them.

I see now, by the date of the original post, that nearly two weeks have passed. How are things going?

Best,

Chances are at the very worst it will end up as a warning letter from the FAA. Just had a pilot next door to me have this happen to him, and the end result was a warning letter. Again, it all hinges on the demeanor of the inspector. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back