Ram Air Freight Needs Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was wondering about Race City also.

callsign Race City is Package Express based out of Concord NC (just north of CLT). Much like Ram Express, same job (night flying with small boxes and checks). Same aircraft mostly (senecas), I think higher starting pay, at least it was a year or so ago when I talked to them. Package Express is a good company, the DO is very cool. - kingaira90

I second eveything said about Ram Air so far. Just signed up with the company in December and I'm in the Baron and Lance getting 3.5-5 hours a day, five days a week. The 3 best things about this job are Saturday, Sunday and Federal Holidays; you get them all off.
Ram Air is a great job for the experienced CFII with low mulit time but good instrument skills. Ram Air is NOT for the graduates of the first officer Florida wonder schools that are popular today. Ram Air needs Captains out of the box, some one who can COMMAND their aircraft and get the freight there on schedule.
Some other great things: ALL aircraft have IFR/Approach GPS's. Everything revenue is Part 135 which means no engines over TBO and they are now installing Millennium engines on all aircraft. The people really are great! I know that sounds trite and generic but they are. We are laid back and so long and you don't crash, stay on schedule and don't forget/leave work behind, life is easy. Duty days/flight times vary widely according to run.
Downsides: The pay sux, one of the lowest in the industry. The reason why people leave quickly. Although there are scheduled raises at 6 & 12 months.
In summary: They gave me EVERYTHING promised in the interview. No surprises. Very straight forward proccess. If you can fly instruments well and have a good background, you will get hired and fly your a$$ off.

Jon (Our long time DO) is also doing fine. He's in ORL supporting our new FL runs and drumming up more business.

Good Luck

scoot said:
If you have the minimum 135 requirements and need a good starting out job in aviation you should check it out. www.ramairfreight.com

We've just picked up new bases in Florida and are losing 5 pilots to the airlines. Tell Jerome Scoot sent ya.

Scoot!! I wondered where you ended up!

Shoot me a PM....

as a former Race-City operator i can say this was a wonderful experience and makes you more valuable to the regionals versus the run of the mill CFI/II.

besides at Ram Ex you can taxi at SWA++ speed. never forget racing into pi$$-a$$ airports in NC to "beat" ramex in, dump the check bags, and get out of there in no time.

I applied to these guys about a year ago, and really wish I had gotten a phone call. Took a freight job closer to home, but all the checking I did backs up what everyone says here. Good outfit, good planes, crappy pay. Welcome to night freight.

At RAM, the starting pay if you're based in RDU is $60/day, if you're outbased, it can be anywhere from $75-$90 a day. The runs out of RDU are from about 1pm - 8pm on average. The average outbased run is 2pm - 10pm, with some runs being 6am-7pm, some 6pm-2am, but you can move up so fast in the company these days that you can almost get what you want. After 6 months there is 10% increase in pay, after 12 months 20% increase in pay, and after 2 years max pay of $120 no matter which run you're on.

At Package Express I think you start out at around $80-85 a day no matter which run you do. Some runs are very short, 4 hours, while other are much longer at 14 hour duty days.

Hey "Big Dog" and "Scoot" I hope things in RDU are good, we're hurtin' for people real bad with everyone leaving. PM me sometime. Too bad I don't know anyone from past seniority #387.

-W

Bump.

ram air

thanks scoot, because of this post i was called had an interview and got a training date this month! for those of you working at ram air i have a few questions. about how long is it taking to upgrade to the twin? willl it be hard to get the location i want after training? any info would be great.

The twin upgrade is mainly a question of where are you willing to go/what run it is. If you are okay with being outbased anywhere, you can be flying the line in a twin 2 weeks after your first training day. There are several twin runs opening in March, locations vary. If you want to stay in Raleigh it may take a couple/few months to get in a twin run, although you will probably get trained in the PA34 or BE58 sooner. If you want a specific base, that could take even longer and it may not be a twin run. Hope that clears it up. Study all the material you get well and work the GPS simulator hard. Class is straight forward for those who study and can keep the needles in the doughnut. Good Luck!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back