Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

StarHustler

Go Mountaineers!
For those that are/were in the check hauling business, you may be or may have worked for one of these companies before. Ram Air is headquartered in RDU and Package Express is out of JQF (Concord, NC). With the 'check 21' law now in effect the business is slowly dropping off and both of these companies compete in the same markets (the Mid Atlantic States). I guess it only makes since that they merge. They do have somewhat different culutures/pay scales so I am not sure how they will coordinate all of that. The buyout should be complete within a few short months.

Wow! That is somewhat surprising. I used to work for 'Race City' and enjoyed the experience. Invaluable in building strong IFR skills. They were a pretty good outfit to work for with above industry average wages for this type of flying. A really good group of pilots to boot. I certainly hope it works out well for all the folks down in JQF. Another sign of the times in this crazy business!

A long, long time ago... in a galaxy far away.....

I flew a AA-5A for old Ram Air Freight! Best job I ever had, and still keep in touch with my old boss, he's the best!

My most fond memories of earning a buck flying (and that was for the whole day) go back to that small hanger in RDU which is no longer there.

God bless Freight Pilots

wolfpackpilot said:
A long, long time ago... in a galaxy far away.....

I flew a AA-5A for old Ram Air Freight! Best job I ever had, and still keep in touch with my old boss, he's the best!

My most fond memories of earning a buck flying (and that was for the whole day) go back to that small hanger in RDU which is no longer there.

God bless Freight Pilots

Ahh the old hanger...........when were you there? Good chance we tossed back a few frosty beverages together.

Most fun I ever had flying for a living was running those tired old Barons around the east coast!.......................lived on ramen noodles, but when you are young all you need is barley and hops money anyhow right! :)

Any of you go into New Bern ? I flew the Caravan for Jerry Fountain (Tarheel)for almost a year from RDU to Greenville to New Bern for Airborne and UPS. We used to hang out (LIVE) at the Unicom building before it became a tower again.

....I guess there is one person who can't keep their mouth shut.
The public knowledge of the rumors doesn't help either company. As customers see that things are going to become a little more monopolistic, they're going to look for someone else to do their work. So from the emloyees of both compaines, thanks for screwing us.

1973Arrow said:
The public knowledge of the rumors doesn't help either company. As customers see that things are going to become a little more monopolistic, they're going to look for someone else to do their work. So from the emloyees of both compaines, thanks for screwing us.

So you're saying this was going to be kept a secret from the customers until someone blabbed, and now you're all screwed??

1973Arrow said:

That is almost Too funny! You expect 60 pilots to keep a secret!? LOL, man that is faith...Anyway, if it just a rumor than I wouldn't worry about it. In this business there is always another rumor in the works. I also doubt very many bankers or Beav Ex drivers are reading this board. But for what it is worth I fell for it!

Lou3 said:
That is almost Too funny! You expect 60 pilots to keep a secret!? LOL, man that is faith...Anyway, if it just a rumor than I wouldn't worry about it. In this business there is always another rumor in the works. I also doubt very many bankers or Beav Ex drivers are reading this board. But for what it is worth I fell for it!

It is NOT a rumor. I once flew for RamEx so I still know some folks over there. It also has been known by the Ram Air people for several weeks (not sure about the Package folks) so it really is no great surprise. I thought some of the other former RamEx'ers would find it interesting.

Latest resources

Back