Radio transmission too long???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UA-RESURRECTED said:
I'm planning an XC flight, and it looks like at one point I might have to say this:

"ABC tower, Cessna 123 estimating 10 miles Northeast of the field at four thousand five hundred feet with information alpha. Requesting permission to make a touch and go and then depart to the Northeast for XYZ airport at three thousand five hundred feet. Requesting flight following".

Just wondering if this is an acceptable radio transmission when approaching an airport with the intent of immediately leaving and heading elsewhere.

Thanks

You forgot to add the "with you"...

Keep it as short and accurate as possible. Guess it's just a pet peeve of mine, but it just aggrevates the crap out of me to hear some bozo on the radio spend 2 minutes trying to make a radio call. You all know the ones I'm talking about... " XYZ traffic, this is Cessna 152 XXXXX, I'm about 10 miles or so East... uh, make that Southeast of the field right now, and we're gonna be approaching the airport at 2500 ft to enter the traffic pattern on a 45 degree to the downwind leg of runway XX, then we'll be doing a few touch and goes and then departing the airport on a Westerly heading back to ABC airport at 3,000 ft". I swear I hear this same sort of thing no less than 20 times a day.

If it gets to seem like to much, drop the "student pilot" line on the controller. That'll get them to talk a little slower and make it easier on you. Good luck, have fun.......

Virgins

Virgin Atlantic is worse than any student pilot i've ever heard. Instead of "Patomic Approach, XYZ 5248 checking in at 9000 with zulu," they say "Patomic Approach, Virgin 12 Heavy checking in at 10,000 feet on QNH 30.14, we are an Airbus A-340-600, heading 190, Speed at 230 knots for Visual 1R request 1L with Zulu, say current QNH please?" Gosh, the transmisions with them just never end with them sometimes.

"ABC tower, Cessna 123 estimating 10 miles Northeast of the field at four thousand five hundred feet with information alpha. Requesting permission to make a touch and go and then depart to the Northeast for XYZ airport at three thousand five hundred feet. Requesting flight following".

From a controller to a pilot :
"ABC Tower, Cessna 123 10 miles northeast 4,500 with information alpha request touch and go departure to the Northeast."

Latest resources

Back