Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UA-RESURRECTED

Does this mean I failed?
I'm planning an XC flight, and it looks like at one point I might have to say this:

"ABC tower, Cessna 123 estimating 10 miles Northeast of the field at four thousand five hundred feet with information alpha. Requesting permission to make a touch and go and then depart to the Northeast for XYZ airport at three thousand five hundred feet. Requesting flight following".

Just wondering if this is an acceptable radio transmission when approaching an airport with the intent of immediately leaving and heading elsewhere.

Thanks

Last edited:
I'd cut down some of the superfluous wording. Also, there's no real need to request flight following with the tower. I'm not really sure where you're flying, but I'd simply contact Center or TRACON for that.

Here's something I'd say: "ABC tower, Cessna 123 10 miles northeast with alpha, requesting one touch and go, then northeast departure."

If you're flying into a simple Class D airport, there's no real need to say your altitude approaching and altitude leaving the pattern.

"ABC, Cessna 1234X, 10 NorthEast, Charlie, touch and go"

Let them ask you what your intentions are after the touch and go. If they don't, when you're downwind/base tell them...

"Tower, N34X, after this we're VFR to XXX, could we get in the system for Flight Following?"

This way if they're busy initially, it's a quick call to tell them who, where and what.

If they aren't busy they'll ask you what your intentions are...then you can say:
"One touch and go then VFR to XXX at 3,500 request flight following please"

It's worked for my students so far...should work out just fine.

Good luck! Glad to see you're going XC!

-mini

Yeah, I'd say that's way too much. Assuming you're going into a class d field since it looks like you're talking to the tower on initial call up, how about:

"ABC tower, Cessna 123 10 northeast inbound for touch and go with alpha."

The controller will then probably give you instructions for entering the pattern and may give you a point to report like "report the left downwind for runway X" or "report a 3 mile final for X"

Read back the instructions and then go on to what you want to do after the touch and go.

"report a 3 mile final for X, Cessna 123. After the touch and go I'd like to depart to the Northeast, 3500 feet, requesting flight following."

Just think if the tower were to give you that much information in an instruction, you'd probably be overloaded. Remember, they're human too.

-'duff

UA-RESURRECTED said:
I'm panning an XC flight, and it looks like at one point I might have to say this:

"ABC tower, Cessna 123 estimating 10 miles Northeast of the field at four thousand five hundred feet with information alpha. Requesting permission to make a touch and go and then depart to the Northeast for XYZ airport at three thousand five hundred feet. Requesting flight following".

Just wondering if this is an acceptable radio transmission when approaching an airport with the intent of immediately leaving and heading elsewhere.

Thanks

UA-RESURRECTED said:

"ABC tower, Cessna 123, 10 North, alpha, inbound touch and go."

Then after you do your slam and go:

"tower Cesssna 123, depart Northeast back to XYZ airport with flight following"

Guys, thanks for the information. This is a big help.

Yes, I've done this a few times with my instructor, but looking back on the flights I seem to have trouble recalling exactly what I said, when, and to whom. Maybe you can relate, maybe not, but this will be my first solo XC and I'm just trying to clear some gray areas here.

No, I do not use these forums as a substitute for flight instruction.

Thanks again.

ReportCanoa said:
Just say- "look bicth, I have toothpaste, let me in or face my wrath."

OMG, that cracks me up. "Don't push me over the edge...I might snap and bring out the hair gel".

Latest resources

Back