Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Radio station license for the aircraft, going to the bahamas?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Do I need a FCC radio permit for the aircraft if I am going to the Bahamas? I have my own (pilots) but I'm getting my a/c ready to go. I know I need large N #s.

Thanks

Yep. Both you and the aircraft need to have the proper permit/license. Just go to the FCC website and apply. I believe that it now costs $100.

Rally said:
Do I need a FCC radio permit for the aircraft if I am going to the Bahamas? I have my own (pilots) but I'm getting my a/c ready to go. I know I need large N #s.

Thanks

I believe that the N's have to be at least 12 inches and the aircraft does need a FCC permit and it should cost around 100.00 but im not too sure about the 12 inches N numbers.

14CFR45.29 has the data on the tail number, required to be at least 12" high to penetrate the an ADIZ.

The radio station licence and restricted radio telephone operator permit are requied per ICAO regs.

I am not saying to disregard the regs, but would a private owner really get busted for not having a FCC radio license, or 12 inch "N" numbers? Just curious. I would think that the FAA and FCC have better things to do with their time.

Way2Broke said:
I am not saying to disregard the regs, but would a private owner really get busted for not having a FCC radio license, or 12 inch "N" numbers? Just curious. I would think that the FAA and FCC have better things to do with their time.

The FAA doesn't give a didley squat about FCC licence, and unless there is an FAA inspector on the customs ramp, you might get away with the N number size. If you're going to disregard these regs, then when will you conform to other regs? Read 14CFR45, the numbers don't have to be perminent, they may be temporary.

When you get to a foreign country, whats to keep the authorities there from impounding your aircraft for not complying with the ICAO regs? There have been numerous accounts to aircraft impoundments for trivial things in third world countries.

Two months ago, the Bahamian Aviaiton Rep stated (in the FAA Studios in Lakeland) that they do not care about the radio license. They know it is not required here and are not looking for it there. He said that while the regulation is still on the books they are working to remove it but it may take a few years. In the mean time they will not be looking for them in airplanes or on pilots.

To quote "In the Bahamas, we have no natural resources. No oil, no metals, no industry. All we have is tourism and the money you leave behind. Why would we want to lost the business of someone wealthy enough to own a plane and visit us over a $50 dollar fine?"

Latest resources

Back