radial engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Avbug-
I don't even need to SEE the Beaver to be short of breath, I only need to hear it approaching! I have been known to lose large fish off the line up in Canada due to the sound of the Beaver or Otter. Alas my pocketbook will never allow ownership of such a beauty! I really just need a simple 4 seater to haul my husband around the state to meetings, but can't quite bring myself to settle for something "ordinary". So I continue to search for the perfect plane: sounds cool, has a little style, reasonable operating costs, and not costing more than my house to purchase. Any suggestions?

Desdamona said:
So I continue to search for the perfect plane: sounds cool, has a little style, reasonable operating costs, and not costing more than my house to purchase. Any suggestions?
Your original post didn't say anything about buying a plane.

Here are a couple of ideas with lower end prices I've seen/heard of lately. I'm sure others will be able to add to the list.

450 Stearman - $90k, R985 has pretty good parts availability

220 Stearman - $70k, don't know so much about availability of these radial Lyc and Continental parts

T-6 - $90k (I know of one bought for this amount in decent flying condition), R1340 parts still pretty available

Yak-52, -55, CJ-6 - $50k & up. Popular Chinese/Russian products with pretty good parts availability. Only problem is the engine turns the wrong way! ;)

Wilga - $45K Slow by design and engine also turns backwards.

Avbug hit on one important item. How they are operated.

R2800-CB17 TBO:

CV340/440 1600 hrs

DC-6 1800 hrs

Difference? PFE!

Ask any DC-6 pilot what happens to a pilot who trys to touch the throttles, except for initial TO and on approach. The pilot if he's lucky will only lose a hand.

I was pretty lucky on engine reliability for sure! There's more than one crew that had as many engine failures during a trip around the pattern as I had in ten years.

For avbug, or anyone else still flying the big radials: Does the use of 100 octane vs 115/145 have any effect on engine life? Do you still setup advance spark and 10% lean during cruise?

TD valve,

using 100LL requires us to use the CB-16 power settings on the R2800 as opposed to the CB-17 power settings (2400 BHP vs 2500 BHP) We're limited to 103,800 MGTOW rather than 107,000.

We still lean to a 12 BMEP drop in cruise (approx 10% power drop) Our spark advance systems have been deactivated. I don't know of any hard and fast figures for engine life, but theoretically running at the CB-16 settings should prolong engine life, as long as detonation is avoided.

TD,

The spark advance is only applicable to some engines. Same for leaning. I usually used the autolean setting on the carb, as long range economy was never my primary goal. Also, it wasn't often in those airplanes that I'd stay in cruise.

100LL tends to foul plugs badly; forever chasing dying or fouled spark plugs due to leading. On the P2V-7's, the leaded fuel tended to build up on the turbine blades, too (R-3350's, J-34 on same wing).

when leaning for long cruise, I usually set up either lean or rich of peak, but usually didn't advance back to get power per the traditional method. I also leaned often by the color of the flame on the shortstacks.

Flew the right seat on a '-6 awhile ago.

I came in one early morning into St. Domingo some time back, with that still air basically flying the ship for me. That right base to final on a visual, where the captain isn't on your case for once for not being nuts on the 'slope, and she just slid right onto the runway.

I still remember that afterglow from that greaser that warmed up that early morning cool. We taxied off to the cargo ramp passing an American Airlines jet along the way.

That heavy crew's waves were the icing on the cake. I've never felt so proud in my life before or since.

nervous

A Squared,

Are you running ADI fluid for the takeoffs, or just keeping those overall limitations for detonation prevention?

Another radial fan...

My 1st consumer dream is a DC-3, 2nd plane would be an Albatross. I have this "thing" for radials, that makes me turn into a little kid and run out of meetings if i hear one outside. The sound goes straight to the heart.

I use to work by Opalocka airport couple years back, and they got this enormous assortment of radial stuff: tons of DC-3s, Super 3s, DC-6, DC-4, DC-7 (the only operational one in the world!) and lots of Convairs, not to mentions twin-beech's.
Just the other, day though, I took a spin around there and seemed like half the planes that were flyin back then were either mothballed or torn apart. :( The times, they are a changin...

And from what it sounds they spend more time in the hands of a mechanic than the pilot.

Latest resources

Back