Radial engine drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two blades on the props...

OK, I was just wondering why you said three on the original post. You would count four blades before throwing the mags, right?

Anyway, great plane, the flying Harley. More hours and years than I should have in the bitch.

Are the Oil Shutters a R-985 thing or a BE-18 specfic item? I've heard alot of stories about having to constantly adjust them in the Twin Beech, but don't recall any manual adjustments for the oil coolers in the DC-3 or the SNJ.

Oil shutters are airframe OEM specific on the Beech.

Last edited:
I don't remember having to adjust the oil shutters very often in flight in the BE-18.

The oil coolers on a Twin Beech are not equipped with an automatic by-pass (thermostat). In flight, the oil temperature is controlled manually with the cooler inlet shutters.

The oil coolers do have individual manual by-pass controls intalled that are intented to be used on a cold start until the engine comes up to operating temperature. [Note to original poster: make sure the engine is at idle when you open the by-pass valve! Otherwise, warm oil in the system at high pressure will hit the congealed oil in the cooler and could cause the cooling radiator to rupture].

Latest resources

Back