Radial engine drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RockyMnt1

I just had my introduction to the world of radial engines and I have a profound new respect for those aviators that used these engines.

The ground crew "topped" of the oil tanks with 13 quarts of oil. They were in a race, as just about as much oil was leaking on to the tarmac as was being poured into the oil tank.

The engine start technique required only 3 hands. 1 hand to hold the yoke in the aft postion so that one could see the panel and 2 hands to get the engines started. Press the starter for 3 blades, turn on the mags, oh and while you are at it, play with the primer, throttle setting, and mixture. I now understand that the starting technique is mostly a "black art" as opposed to following steps in the check list. During the starting sequence, the engines hissed, belched, farted, and coughed all the while violently shaking the airplane with loud backfires. Oil completely coated the tires, underbelly, and surrounding tarmac along with the thick cloud of white smoke streaming toward the rear of the aircraft. By holding my tongue in just the right position, having the planets align correctly, offering a prayer and a sacrifice, the engines finally smoothed out. I do enjoy the purring engine sound once up and running.

Once the engines are finally running, then the real challenge begins. There are no less than 3 systems to regulate the engine temperature (oil shutters, oil bypass, and manifold shutters (similar to carb heat). The temperature range is very narrow, so dealing with these systems is a constant task while flying.

Wow! The modern aircraft engines have come a long way and we pilots that use them are really spoiled. I really don't know how the folks in the "great white north" deal with these engines as the air temp was in the high 30's during my flight.

All in all an interesting and great learning experience.

I agree. If one can't fly the Beech the way it was designed and intended to be, one probably ought not be in it at all.

The R985 (or 1340) aren't really the most challenging or difficult radials out there. They're among the most friendly to use and operate, and are relatively bulletproof platforms.

Give it a little bit of time and you'll find that the profound respect you feel will melt into cautious comfort, and then at some point familiarity, and finally annoyed tolerance.

Enjoy the airplane, though. It's one of the few you'll find today that's still got character.

The ground crew "topped" of the oil tanks with 13 quarts of oil. They were in a race, as just about as much oil was leaking on to the tarmac as was being poured into the oil tank.
Old saying: "If it's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any in it."

If you learn to listen to them, each individual engine will tell you what it needs to start smoothly. With a good instructor or a few weeks of experience, you will be able to start the engines without any commotion.

If the engine is belching and backfiring during the start, the throttle is open too much. Close the throttle slightly and the belching and sneezing will cease. [You use your forth hand for that action.] This assumes a carbureted engine and not one equipped with Simmons fuel injection.

Have fun with that machine. As you already know, it is a nice flying airplane. It is a good instrument flying platform and capable of carrying a load of ice. If its any consolation, the airplane is faster with the Volpar trycycle gear mod. The modified nose has less drag than the original. It also moves the empty weight center of gravity forward, which is always a good thing with a loaded Twin Beech. The other plus is that the center of gravity moves forward when the gear is retracted as opposed to moving aft as it does with the conventional-gear configuration. I guess there has to be some compensation for the modification making what was a good-looking airplane look ridiculous on the ground.

Starter, Primer, shower of sparks. Been years since I flew the Twin Beech.
What a great airplane.

Last edited:
I find the R-985 to be about the simplest radial I've ever operated. It was said above and I find to be true: experiment with how much you prime and where the throttle is positioned while starting and you'll find what works best. You'll get to a point where you can do it with just to hands. Well, 2.5, maybe. :)

If I get a hold of a particularly coughing-snorting-kapowing-unhappy start the first thing I'll generally do is close the trottle and then open it as needed. And there is such a thing as too much oil on the ground underneath a radial. they will lose oil, to be sure, and a little looks like a lot more than it usually is, but don't just accept oil all over the place as necessarily normal.

have fun! If you're getting ready for a bunch of cold weather where you'll be flying get prepared for more cantankerous starts.

Latest resources

Back