Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

iflyabeech

el Piloto
I have an Bendix-King RDS-81 in my Cheyenne and I do not have a pilot's guide for it. I was wondering if anyone knew of an online guide or a place to find one. The only one I found was on essoaircraft.com.

I feel pretty good using the radar to avoid T-Storms and to help out when airports are near a coastline. I have pretty much taught myself radar though and I am curious as to the different modes (what is the difference between wx mode and wxa mode?) and other details that are not readily apparent.

Any generic radar guide or info/website would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Where's Archie at?

Wx is 'weather' mode and Wxa is 'weather-alert' mode. You should see an indicator I believe in the lower left of the screen to show which mode you are in. Wx is your normal mode. In Wxa, high rain areas which are magenta in color, will flash between magenta and black.

I've flown a lot of old Cheyennes and King Airs, and Flight Safety was always good at finding a manual for odds and ends avionics. Although I don't have one for that model. If you can't find anything online, you might try a good local avionics shop.

i can't quote the regulation but I also think you need the manual to be legal
installed equipment and what not

Arrow

Not so quick....think about that a minute, so I need a manual for my radios, FMS, or GPS, radar, TCAS, etc, etc, etc,......not required. But, your right, it is good practice.

jaydubya, it may or may not be required. In our AFM, in the supplement section, it specifically states that the manual for our FMS must be on board. Even gives a part # for the manual. Also the same requirement for our TCAS system.

And for the original poster give this link a try https://www3.bendixking.com/PilotGuides

In the top right search box type RDS 81, with no dashes, just a space. Honeywell has it on line. Happy reading.

Last edited:
iflyabeech said:
...I have pretty much taught myself radar though and I am curious as to the different modes (what is the difference between wx mode and wxa mode?) and other details that are not readily apparent...
If you have "pretty much" taught yourself radar then I can practically guarantee that you probably don't know very much about it. Most guys who haven't had any formal training with WX radar would probably be safer if they didn't even turn it on. If I were in your position, I would get yourself signed up for one of the several good radar courses out there. They're offered at various places around the country and the price not out of line. Dave Qwinn probably has one of the best ones, Archie Trammel's is OK.

'Sled

Thanks guys. . . We did the 135 conformity inspection with the Feds a few months ago and I specifically asked about the radar guide. . . They did not have a problem with not having one. I haven't been able to find the reg that would require one. . .a guide is not specified on the 337 form

Lead Sled said:
If you have "pretty much" taught yourself radar then I can practically guarantee that you probably don't know very much about it. Most guys who haven't had any formal training with WX radar would probably be safer if they didn't even turn it on. If I were in your position, I would get yourself signed up for one of the several good radar courses out there. They're offered at various places around the country and the price not out of line. Dave Qwinn probably has one of the best ones, Archie Trammel's is OK.

'Sled

Its all about being smart. There are idiots with all kinds of instruments who do stupid stuff all of the time. There are idiots flying around with nothing who do stupid stuff. I know my limitations and don't exceed them. The radar is just one of the tools and the more I use it and learn about it, the more comfortable I will feel using it. I think the attitude of the pilot is more important on keeping him out of trouble than what he has installed and turned on in the airplane. I don't claim to know it all and I know my limitations. For now, I supplement the radar with a good decision making, a strikefinder and my own two eyes.

Lead Sled said:

'Sled
So are you saying that a pilot w/out a radar is better than a pilot with a radar that is not properly trained to use it? I would tend to agree if I were a ramper standing in front of a plane that still had the radar on...... :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back