QX's lack of aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dkwid said:
I am in no way defending any decisions. But lets face it...it is FAR TOO easy to look back and critique. Anyone can point out mistakes after the fact. You really can not blame the engine issue (by the way there are currently 2 400's down due to th engine issue) directly on management decisions in the past. Having spare airplanes is not an affordable luxory.

Lets hope the upgrades and hiring contiues through next year and beyond.

First question, do you even work here?

I count 4 A/C down according to the CP. This came through the channels earlier today.

And yes, you really can't blame them for the engine issue. No one knew that AD was going to come out. I'll give them that one. But, if you worked here you would know where I'm coming from with the consertative, reactive policy that management currently practices. Everyone knew that growth and load factors would eventually return but the air group wanted to sit and "wait and see what the economy does." Well, the economy is leaving us in the dust while Skywest and the rest of them capitalize. It's fustrating.

I'd take a dispatcher's word over a CP's on the number of a/c out of service....ymmv.

Bob Loblaw said:
"Horizon 100, your traffic is a NW Airbus, 6 o'clock and 6 inches....oops....nevermind"

Oh....THAT one. That was a good bird, too. Was actually somewhat new the last time I flew it.

turbodriver said:
First question, do you even work here?

I count 4 A/C down according to the CP. This came through the channels earlier today.

And yes, you really can't blame them for the engine issue. No one knew that AD was going to come out. I'll give them that one. But, if you worked here you would know where I'm coming from with the consertative, reactive policy that management currently practices. Everyone knew that growth and load factors would eventually return but the air group wanted to sit and "wait and see what the economy does." Well, the economy is leaving us in the dust while Skywest and the rest of them capitalize. It's fustrating.

Listen I have no interest in getting into a pissing match with you. But lets face it. In the economics of a capitalist society stockholders who truly run corporations have little interest in how fast you or I upgrade. Regarding your frustration in not doing so I totally understand....but if your picked Horizon for a fast upgrade, I am sorry, but you picked incorrectly. Your comments regarding being left behind by the industry are naive at best. With the exception of Skywest (who receives all their income from two Bankrupt cariers and only flies their airplanes were they are told to do so by those BK cariers) over fifty percent of the seats in this industry are flying under court protection. NW is furloughing 400 plus pilots, Delta slashing flights and parking airplanes, Comair is losing flying and will furlough, Mesaba and Pinnacle are both losing airplanes and Mesa is so desperate to place their abundance of fifty seat airplanes they are going at it alone connecting the Hawian islands with a fifty seat money loser (ie. Independance Air).

I would certainly like to see the Air Group do more to protect our market share which should include expansion and I think we will see this in '06 but I would expect it to somewhat conservative. And, once again facts are facts it has been this conservative approach that has the Air Group sitting on nearly a billion in cash and two somewhat profitable airlines. With fuel prices going where they are going that may not be the horrible plan it appears...look at Delta, they are currently canceling flights that are not booked full enough to save fuel.

Anyhow more important will be our contract negotiations that begin next year. I certainly hope we all can see long term and improve our quality of life (ie. schedules) and not cave in to chase the dangling carrot of pretty little airplanes so we can all be captains move on to a major and live happily ever after. Every job should be a quality job in this industry, this "stepping stone" airline mentality has got to go.

Bob Loblaw said:
"Horizon 100, your traffic is a NW Airbus, 6 o'clock and 6 inches....oops....nevermind"

NTSB Identification: SEA05LA184A
Scheduled 14 CFR Part 121: Air Carrier operation of Northwest Airlines
Accident occurred Monday, August 29, 2005 in Portland, OR
Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A330-223, registration: N855NW
Injuries: 270 Uninjured.

On August 29, 2005, approximately 1410 Pacific daylight time, an Airbus A330-223, N855NW, that was taxiing for takeoff collided with a Bombardier DHC-8-202, N363PH, that was standing with engines operating waiting to be marshaled to its parking spot on the Portland International Airport, Portland, Oregon. There were no injuries to the 3 flight crewmembers, 9 flight attendants, and 235 passengers aboard the Airbus or to the 2 flight crewmembers, 1 flight attendant, and 20 passengers aboard the Bombardier. There was minor damage to the left winglet of the Airbus and substantial damage to the empennage of the Bombardier. The Airbus was operated by Northwest Airlines as flight number 5, a 14 CFR Part 121 scheduled international passenger flight from Portland to Narita Airport, Japan. The Bombardier was operated by Horizon Air as flight number 2066, a 14 CFR Part 121 scheduled domestic passenger flight from Medford, Oregon to Portland. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed, and instrument flight rules flight plans were filed for both flights.

According to preliminary information provided by the Portland Air Traffic Control Tower, the Airbus was taxiing via Taxiway B to runway 28L for departure. The Bombardier had landed, taxied to the gate area, and was parked on the ramp adjacent to the taxiway waiting to be marshaled to its parking spot. As the Airbus passed behind the Bombardier, the left wingtip of the Airbus struck the empennage of the Bombardier.

I've been hearing the 10 new Q400's rumor for a good two months now. Will be very surprised if anything comes of it.

On the other hand, they *are* hiring two additional check airmen into the Q400, and the FA's I've talked to say they're already a bit overstaffed and continuing to hire. Maybe something is up...maybe not.

My roommate is a mechanic over at the hangar, she thought there were more than 4 Q400s down. It might just be 4 down due to lack of engines, and the other two due to more typical Q400 ailings...

dkwid....One of the few good responses you will here on Flightinfo... Wow, someone who actually understands instead of just spouting off!!

Latest resources

Back