• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

QX upgrade out of seniority

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
These ACP positions are management positions, ie not based on seniority. Everyone had the chance to at least apply for it.

I've never seen the current QX contract, but I'm guessing that it doesn't address the hiring of management personnel. So the union will file a grievance over it to make it look like they are putting up the good fight, but you already know what the outcome will be.

If the contract does address this, then please correct me. This type of thing happens all over and is not unique to QX.

As far as being "yes men", that is just laughable. Would you call a Colonel a yes man because he takes orders from a General? If you owned a business, would you want your employees to disregard your instructions? The ACP is not the top of the food chain. Sure there is alot of dicresion, but the "A" in ACP stands for assistant. There are higer ups they answer to. Can you imagine if every ACP was independent and could do what ever they wanted? How about 5 different sick policies?

The same lacy that is a tall blonde? On another note it 's disgusting to say that you'd consider crossing a picket line. Really, you never do that.

This what I am talking about. Just because someone has colored outside of the lines to further where he/she is in their career, generally the rank and file look to tar and feather that person. They are called brown noser and yes-men. In some cases they are, in other cases no. However, when you work for the company and not the contract, you are duty bound to operate in the companies best interest. I can enough arguments about company interest to demonstrate that a happy work group equates to a better product produced. There are still times to say no though.

Most of us have worked hard to get where we are. I've got a wife, kids and mortgage and worked my tail to get where I am now. I still have further to go but I will keep doing it. But once again, whenever someone steps out of line to achieve what is best for themselves and family, they get the back of the hand. It has become the seniority mentality of believing, "Only when it is your turn." Merit completely falls by the way side with that thought structure.

I'll catch a bunch of flack for this but it really doesn't matter. When it comes to bettering my position in life, I have no compunction at all about stepping out of line. If I can get a better job within the company when I beat of a more senior guy, I am all for it. You, the furloughed FO, the super senior captain or anyone else pays my bills or feeds my kids. It is MY responsibility so I if step on someones elses toes in the effort, I'll apologize and mean it but in the end, its to damn bad. I'll help out just about anyone but in the end it comes down to me and and how well I provide for my family.

Not from me you won't. Nice post.

An ACP that is an FO is not unique to QX. We had at least 2 of them at eagle, one in ORD and one in DFW. Though they were not upgraded to the best of my knowledge and thier pay was negotiated, usually close to what they made the previous year.

The only reason i can think anyone would want that job is to be home every night, but why not just bid day trips. jmo.

Old news they have done it for years, Spike, Todd, Gene (VP). I am assuming, Lacy, the former Denver ACP (by the way, very cool guy) and the gal who took over Todd's position in PDX. Have all been given the chance. They can and will fly the line when and if there is a work action, sorry.

These ACP positions are management positions, ie not based on seniority. Everyone had the chance to at least apply for it.

I've never seen the current QX contract, but I'm guessing that it doesn't address the hiring of management personnel. So the union will file a grievance over it to make it look like they are putting up the good fight, but you already know what the outcome will be.

If the contract does address this, then please correct me. This type of thing happens all over and is not unique to QX.

As far as being "yes men", that is just laughable. Would you call a Colonel a yes man because he takes orders from a General? If you owned a business, would you want your employees to disregard your instructions? The ACP is not the top of the food chain. Sure there is alot of dicresion, but the "A" in ACP stands for assistant. There are higer ups they answer to. Can you imagine if every ACP was independent and could do what ever they wanted? How about 5 different sick policies?

You've obviously never worked for QX. ACPs are hired cause they're yes men, literally. They look for people who will break the contract when it serves management's interests. "Fly then grieve it" They'll say when it comes down to it. They want people who won't hesitate to stick it to your average line pilot.

Section 19 talks about pilots transfering to management. And in fact, there was/is a greivance becaue good 'ol Gene Hann upgraded out of senoirty because "I'm the VP of flight ops and I want to be a captain, so there" (He was only about 50 numbers from the bottom when that mess started) was pretty much his statement to the union. I suspect that QX pilots still have the same distrust of management.

Last edited:
Depends on if I agree with how far the company or union has gone.

so you are willing to "scab" then? that is what you are saying, right?? well if that's the case, then please don't leave QX.

Mookie

You've obviously never worked for QX. ACPs are hired cause they're yes men, literally. They look for people who will break the contract when it serves management's interests. "Fly then grieve it" They'll say when it comes down to it. They want people who won't hesitate to stick it to your average line pilot.

Section 19 talks about pilots transfering to management. And in fact, there was/is a greivance becaue good 'ol Gene Hann upgraded out of senoirty because "I'm the VP of flight ops and I want to be a captain, so there" (He was only about 50 numbers from the bottom when that mess started) was pretty much his statement to the union. I suspect that QX pilots still have the same distrust of management.

How did the GH grievance turn out?

Latest resources

Back