• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Crizz

Big Member
What is their hiring outlook?

What is their junior base?

How are base/aircraft assignments handled for a newhire?

What is a typical schedule like for a reserve and a lineholder?

How long do you sit reserve in the junior base?

Thanks!

And most importantly, where is Flightinfo's search function!?!?

Heh. Just kidding. I'll play nice.

1. We're currently hiring, from what I hear having trouble filling classes because the 6+ yr upgrade has a way of scaring off qualified candidates.

2. You're assigned aircraft and base at time of hire, you don't really bid for it immediately. Over the last year, I'd say the SEA Q200 FOs have moved up the quickest.

3. They'll ask you your preference in the interview, but nothing is guaranteed of course. As we get additional Q400s next year, I suspect most of the hiring will be into that (PDX base only for now, speculation about opening a SEA or LAX base).

4. Typical reserve schedule: 5 on, 2 off, 4 on, 3 off, 5 on, 2 off, etc. 12 days off per 35-day bid period.
Regular lines have between 13 days and 16 days off per bid period. Typically 3 or 4 day trips, or sometimes 2 day trips (most often back-to-back with a 3 or 4-day). Typically 2 or 3 days off at a time.

5. Just depends. If you're at the SEA Q200 base when they start dumping 200's next year, it could be quite a while. Right now I think it's under a year there. I've been Q400 FO for 1.5 yrs at PDX, and held a line for the last 2 bids, but got kicked back to the curb next bid, ie reserve. My buddy in the jet at PDX has been here nearly 3 years and still on reserve.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

How about Denver? Is that junior or senior?

Well, DEN FO's tend to bid over to PDX, so I guess that'd make it junior. It seems there's a pretty equal chance of being initially assigned to PDX vs DEN...but you'll probably be able to bid from PDX to DEN quicker than vice versa.

DEN is just CRJs right?

How likely is it to be assigned to the CRJ as a newhire?

Yes, DEN is CRJ only. Frontier Jet Express. I have a friend there and he loves it. He won't consider leaving there until he upgrades. Getting hired in to the RJ is based on whether they need to fill positions or not. From what I remember, I believe some of the FO's next in line to upgrade are from the jet, so they will hire to replace them as needed and as we receive a new jet early next year they will hire a few for that as well. If you are in a new hire class with positions for more than one type, then the most senior would get first choice. Seniority in class is based on age.

What Dash Trash said is right on. I am in the 200 in PDX. I believe some new hires from the May 05 class in SEA are getting lines there, and in PDX sitting reserve is running around a year.

The hiring outlook here is never known. They will hire a bunch and say they are done for the year, then start interviewing a month later. I imagine next year might be a good year for hiring. We are getting more planes, but it is probably only going to be a net growth of 3 or 4 planes. Who knows. We have had a few captains go to Alaska lately. I believe one is waiting for a class at SWA. We have also had some Fo's leave for other companies. Alaska is planing to hire a lot in the next 1.5 years. Hopefully they will take some more from QX.

Good luck.

Does QX pay during training?

Do they have a reputation for not knowing what's going on and hiring, then furloughing, then hiring again, only to furlough again like my current employer? :)

one more thing...are you seat locked there? I heard something to the effect that if you change equipment, you start at 1 yr pay again?

all in all, stability is my main concern..i can deal with a long upgrade/reserve time if I know I have a job

thanks

QX is a stable place to work. They furloughed 4 years ago, but from my knowledge is the only time that has happened. If you come here, I wouldn't worry about that. We are making money and it looks like the Alaska air group will record a full year profit. The air group in general is doing well. We have a good fuel hedging program which is helping. Despite the long upgrade time, I feel comfortable here that my job is going to be here tomorrow. The only reason the hiring outlook is sometimes unclear is due to attrition. This year our attrition is more than in the last few years.

Unfortunately you are seat locked in the aircraft you are assigned until you upgrade. Most of us have accepted that, and are fine with it. Do a search on this. There was a discussion on how fo's are paid and such.

I heard before they have a strong preference for pilots native to the pacific northwest. Is that true? Will they consider pilots from other parts the country? I'm not from the pnw. but QX has always been my regional top pick. I really like it out there, especially SEA. I sent a resume not to long ago and got an acknowledgement card. I'll keep them updated though.

Latest resources

Back