QX Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
n25na said:
one more thing...are you seat locked there? I heard something to the effect that if you change equipment, you start at 1 yr pay again?

all in all, stability is my main concern..i can deal with a long upgrade/reserve time if I know I have a job

thanks

Then go to Eagle...

I don't know how it is at QX these days, but when I worked there back in the mid-late '90's it was a good place to be. This was before the first Teamster's contract, so the pay wasn't great, but the people were pretty nice, and you saw familiar faces everytime you went to work. I left in 1999 for a major (and two furloughs). I don't regret leaving, but I can honestly say flying for Horizon was some of the best times in my career. I hope the airline is still the same.
BTW, does anyone know if Ted B. still a chief pilot or has he moved on to greener pastures?

Ted B.

He retired from Horizon and now works for the FAA at HIO. He comes over once in a while to do inspections.

WestSide said:
Could somebody please spell LaMar's first and last name for me. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Now. . .is it "HO-GARD" or "HOW-GARD". I should know since I've met him once.

QCappy said:

They are talking about closing SEA?:eek: Did I catch that right? I sure hope not.

Do you have other aircraft based in SEA or is it just the DH8? I understand they have the DH4 in PDX. Would they just shift flying outta there? They couldn't shut SEA down all together could they? Say it ain't so. I still think about applying there again from time to time but only I if could get SEA based. I'm from Tacoma originally. I still regret the day about 6 years ago when I botched the QX sim-ride by putting in the wrong nav freq in the box. I think I would be a happier clam today if I would not have had such a blonde moment.

Last edited:
Paul R. Smith said:
They are talking about closing SEA?:eek: Did I catch that right? I sure hope not.

Do you have other aircraft based in SEA or is it just the DH8? I understand they have the DH4 in PDX. Would they just shift flying outta there? They couldn't shut SEA down all together could they? Say it ain't so. I still think about applying there again from time to time but only I if could get SEA based. I'm from Tacoma originally. I still regret the day about 6 years ago when I botched the QX sim-ride by putting in the wrong nav freq in the box. I think I would be a happier clam today if I would not have had such a blonde moment.

It is all speculation at this time. It is hard to imagine no crew base in SEA as th evast majority of our flying is and will still be out of SEA. Word is they are still evaluating a 400 domicile in SEA and of course we all know it is likely we will see a 400 base in LAX. As for the 200 it all comes down to Horizons ability/decision on remarketing a few airplanes and that also is up in th eair right now. Regardless at present we are going top see the SEA base downsized around 20 % via attrition (meaning upgrades). So getting a SEA base for the time being will be very tough.

They won't close the base. I heard that they are trying to see how the flying in the Dash could be the most efficient between the two bases. They came up with downsizing the SEA base through attrition. They won't displace anyone, just let it get smaller in time. Most newhires in the 200 will now go to PDX and same for upgrades. You could still get SEA if you came here, it may just take a little longer than before.

Paul, now is the time to apply again, we are going to be hiring all year from what I've been told. I blew the sim ride the first time I tried here too. I came back a year later and made up for my mistakes I made. QX is a good place. It's whatever you want it to be. For some, a career. For others, still a stepping stone (industry dependent). Not too many people complain about working here.

Latest resources

Back