QX Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
have passed training without problems.

You seem to be implying that UNDer's have a higher pass percentage in Horizon's training program than people who come from other places. If so, talk to a few check-airmen and see if your opinion changes.

...UND grads stay longer from what I hear...
I think that's what LaMar was counting on when we started hiring UND grads. However, quite a few of the early ones bolted rather quickly for "greener and better pastures". I think LaMar was quite disappointed over that.
The fact that we have them staying now has more to do with the situation in the industry than anything, imho. I would be surprised to hear the majority are considering QX as a permanent job.
As far as the quality, I've seen both. Most have done very well, some show their lack of experience. Most have great attitudes, some think they're God's gift to aviation, and walk around like they're a 777 Capt at AA. They are the guys who think they deserve this job, not realizing they are lucky to have gotten the chance most have to wait a whole lot longer for... Luckily, we only have a couple of those... And no, you don't know who you are.. :D
Overall, I think the UND experience has been a plus for QX. Like I said, most of the guys are doing great. At least as far as I'm concerned.

MALRS,
I have two degrees, I didn't even bother applying though. I have had friends that were rampers who told me about people who were hired directly from GFK.
A budy of mine who is a frieghter with 4 year degree didn't even get the call; another person with way above mins didn't get the call; then again some CFIs that I interviewed are so stuck on "I am in this thing for a month or two, after that i will go to Horizon" deal..
Horizon is a nice company, but there is sure too many UNDers with attitudes there..
(Oh yeah, didn't the CP's daugther go there too) :)

I usually roll my eyes in private at comments like yours but seriously,....are you for real? Did one of your TWO DEGREES come in spelling? Did you learn in one of your 12 intro Psych or English or History or Soc classes about being humble or talking less to prove more? You have no idea what you are talking about. Who is this fictitious CP's daughter? There are many more than two who have been hired "directly from GFK" but I'm sure your ramper friends told you how they did in training.
I am the last person to stick up for Undies, however, you have no idea how to spell or wtf you are talking about. Contribute something worth while or go away.
QX is an above average regional airline with an insane upgrade time and nice equipment in the Pacific NW. Will never be anything more or less. Get your degree if you want to apply or move on.

Last edited:
Hey Pilotlbs,

What's with the avatar? That doesn't appear to be any of the a/c you list as having flown.

-Blucher:confused:

He's in training for it right now, so...currently just a poser. :)

Hey Pilotlbs,

What's with the avatar? That doesn't appear to be any of the a/c you list as having flown.

-Blucher:confused:
You're right I haven't flown it, I didn't know I needed to have a picture of what I've flown on my avatar ;). I'll take it down if you'd like.

onewithwings:
You got it, good candidates are lost because of the degree "requirement." Oh well maybe they'll let up on it if they're short on pilots. Otherwise there are some regionals just as good that'll bring him on. Good luck to him!

Awright, enough ragging on the UND folks. In my class I was the only UND person and I had 2400/700 w/ 2 yrs freight flying experience; most of the others were similarly qualified. The majority did have at least A.S. degrees. While I've seen the company hire plenty of UND low-timers lately, they've hired a LOT of Mesaba/ACA furloughees, Piedmont refugees, freight doggers, and other people with experience. So don't go blaming the UND kiddies for all your woes...

I think that with upgrade times as high as they are (with no relief in sight) the company is going to have to lower their minimums. We're pretty seriously short on Q400 FOs right now, I just had 7 days off and crew sked called me to fly every single day. I didn't answer, of course...I need people below me a whole lot more than I need extra $.

MALRS,
Horizon is a nice company, but there is sure too many UNDers with attitudes there..
(Oh yeah, didn't the CP's daugther go there too) :)[/quote

While there are always a few bad apples in any group most of the @#!@#!'s that I've dealt with are non UND. I consider myself lucky when I was hired back in 95 with no degree. Its all about timing!

QX has some sick hiring practices. While frieghtdogs, good instructors are not getting hired, people with UND connection get there at 300ish hours.. All that for soon to be reduced wages and 7 year upgrades?

Wow! A little bitter aren't you? And please answer me this....why are we going to have our wages reduced?

How about you do a little research before you talk about something you know nothing about.

Mins are 750 and 50.

And no, I was not hired or did not apply to QX.

Mins are 1000/100 plus a 4-year. Straight from horizonair.com

Get YOUR facts stratight.

Latest resources

Back