Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Quitting 121 op for mil, hurt in the long run?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Otto

Question for you major airline types. Say there is a guy who flies in the Air National Guard who has plenty of flight time but no PIC time. Say this guy upgrades in the Guard and can now get 150 hours of PIC a year working as a part timer. This guy also works as an FO at a large regional carrier flying RJs but the prospects for an upgrade are years away and the picture there looks bleak...everyday is doom and gloom. This guy figures he could quit the regional and fly full time as a "bum" in the Guard thereby getting 400 hours PIC a year and reaching that golden 1000 hours PIC sooner which could open the door to career advancement and greener pastures. If he were to take that road, would an interviewer at a major look down on quitting the Part 121 operation? Of course I'm only asking for someone I know. ;)

Otto,

Is there any way to take a military leave to do your fulltime gig in the Guard and not have to cut bait from the regional. I worked with a FO ( no previous mil. exerience) one time who'd been with a "big" regional and got a job in a Guard unit. He left the regional for about two years and his job was waiting for him when he got back. I think he even got to bypass the right seat by the time he returned.

Isn't there some law that says an employer has to keep your job open for you if you go to military service ? There has to be a ton of guys here who can answer your question.

Absolutely!

Take the Gaurd job and MLOA. I am on MLOA at this very moment. You as a min should take MLOA to get through flight school and get signed off in the unit. At that time if you can not get full time flying, then you can go back to your 121 job. Dont ever shut any doors out there. Always keep them open. I have freinds flying as part time guys flying full time (the bum guys). The only problem that could arise is periods of non flying. If it goes more than a few weeks, you will have to come off of MLOA. You will also need to keep updating orders to say on MLOA. So if you can, get a letter from the unit stating that you will be on and off missions for the duration of "X" years. Talk to your MLOA rep or Chief pilot about the best way to accomplish this. This way, you can wait until you can upgrade or for the industry to find itself. But most important, you finally feel like your are doing something constructive for your self and your country. Good luck! PM me if you need some more info on MLOA. Tim.

Go on military leave of absence. You build seniority on your civilian job while you are making great money and getting PIC time. You can be gone for five years, except President Bush has signed an order that activation during OEF and OIF does not detract from the five years. So as long as the war is on, active duty time does not count toward the Act's five year limit. DO IT!

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a similar question.

Graduating college in May and hoping to be employed by an airline within the next 7-8 months, but I've got pilot apps out to ANG units and have also considered enlisting as a weather observer in the ANG (four years until eligible for OCS, but almost a certain lock for it if I go this route).

How does the airline you work for deal with somebody who is employed there that signs up for first-time service? Is it possible for me to get a 121 job, fly the line for a couple months, then enlist in the ANG while taking MLOA during training and return to the line 6-8 months later? I'm not sure if this is a contract or federal law issue, so please excuse my ignorance.

And if anybody knows any ANG units out there actively looking for "new-hire" pilots (other than the 123rd and 130th AW), please let me know :D

GCD is giving good advice

By taking a military leave of absence you keep your foot in the door at your present job, you get a heck of a pay raise, you can look for a better job and when you explain why you left to your present job you have a good reason, Military active duty. I doubt few employers would look upon voluntary vs. involuntary in any different light.

Latest resources

Back