Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skengdon

AUH!!
Question for the airline guys out there. When you see on APC about an airline "abc" most junior capt hired: April 1996
& another "wyz" airline's most junior capt hired :Aug 2003

what does this mean? does it mean that 'abc' will hired sooner again than 'wyz' since its been so long ago since upgrading?(and its due time to upgrade)
OR
'wyz' has a better indication of upgrading since they last upgraded just couple years ago?

which would a prospective pilot be more appealled by?

ps..i know you'll prolly have a big arse waiting list @ 'abc' but please if someone could decifer this for me...many thanks SD

It means that you will upgrade at airline wyz a he!! of a lot sooner at airline abc since the upgrade time at airline wyz is just under three years (using your example) The reason that the junior captain hire date is there is so you can get an indication on how long the upgrade wil take if you get on at that particular airline. Just subtract the time between today and their hire date, and you have the upgrade time, respectively.

Unless you like being an FO. And if that's the case then come to Horizon. We're hiring.

Last edited:
It's actually a fairly poor indicator when deciding which airline to work for, though perhaps more relevant at the regional level where you're concerned about the eclipsing the poverty line.

Four years ago who would have thought that Colgan would have 50 airplanes? Or that Comair and Mesaba would be served the sh!t sandwich? Or that CHQ would be everyone's whore (heh, heh)? Like mutual funds, past performance is no indication of future returns.

skengdon said:

ps..i know you'll prolly have a big arse waiting list @ 'abc' but please if someone could decifer this for me...many thanks SD

In simplest terms, low upgrade times are the most obvious indication of rapid growth. If you're a new-hire, a rapidly growing airline can be desirable for a number of reasons, only one of those reasons being a quick upgrade. Another reason is that you will generally spend less time on reserve. Reserve = abuse by crew scheduling, fewer days off, and a lower monthly guarantee (less money).

Having said all this, airlines with long upgrade times, by definition, have people who are sticking around for a long time to get shown the money. There's probably a reason for that.

Careful, some airlines hire street captains. The "most junior captain" may have never been an FO there.

skengdon said:
Question for the airline guys out there. When you see on APC about an airline "abc" most junior capt hired: April 1996
& another "wyz" airline's most junior capt hired :Aug 2003

what does this mean? does it mean that 'abc' will hired sooner again than 'wyz' since its been so long ago since upgrading?(and its due time to upgrade)
OR
'wyz' has a better indication of upgrading since they last upgraded just couple years ago?

which would a prospective pilot be more appealled by?

You need to go back to school first. I have never heard such poor grammar on this webiste before. I can tell you that if you do your resumes and cover letters with that kind of complete disragard for the english language, you wont have to worry about working for any airlines. I don't know what your first language is... (not english obviously) but I suggest you take some more engrish classes bewy soon. Yo wurking in dis country depend on dat.

Last edited:
JJs Cantina said:
You need to go back to school first. I have never heard such poor grammar on this webiste before. I can tell you that if you do your resumes and cover letters with that kind of complete disragard for the englishlanguage, you wont have to worry about working for any airlines. I don't know what your first language is... (not english obviously)

LMAO. Ah, the pitfalls of criticizing grammar and spelling. Too funny.

Latest resources

Back