Questions, Questions..........

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was asked this question at a recent Major Airline Interview:

You are on an airway passing between two mountain ranges with an MEA below the Grid MORA (and lower than both ranges) and weather on the airway. You must deviate.

How will you deviate and ultimately let yourself down to an airport of
intended landing on the other side?

You are in non radar environment.

How would you handle this scenerio?? I think there are several elements to this and getting at or above the Grid MORA is one of them.

Thanks

I would be a deer in the headlights on that one.

If you meed the grid moca, you can deviate. If you're not, you need to meet MEA and you're stupid to deviate since you no longer are guaranteed navaid reception.

http://www.emeraldair.net/navig/ils2a.html

What retard asked this question? You say "major airline", but was it "major" in the way that Comair is major, or was it Continental? I doubt JBLU or LUV are asking 'tarded questions like this in an interview. I don't know any other "major" airlines that are even interviewing. Sounds like you got someone who spends just a tad too much time playing CFII.

"Ok, you're shooting a NDB approach off of an NDB hold in LAX. Suddenly, you lose radio contact..."

I'd cancel IFR.

Actually, if you can't find VMC or you're too far from the destination, then you can't cancel IFR.

Besides they said there's weather. But why are you deviating? Thunderstorms? You never said emergency or engine loss....

Bottom line, if there's no radar and you need an appoach you need to begin that from a published IAF. So the question is, How do you navigate from the deviation to the IAF? You could request RNAV direct but ATC won't assume terrain and obstruction clearance with no radar...you'll have to guarantee that on your own.

Additionally, if there's no IAP at the destination and no radar then there's no question, you must leave the MEA in VMC and remain in VMC.

I think the MORA issue is a red herring since it's above you. If you told me you were off-airway with an engine failure at FL350 and drifting down to the MORA, no radar....well, that's different.

I'd climb to ensure terrain clearance, deviate as necessary, re-establish myself on a published airway, descend to no lower than MEA. Only 3 safe ways to descend in a non-radar environment from there:

1. over the ocean
2. via a published airway or procedure (IAF)
3. in VMC

This situation is actually quite common in many parts of the planet, especially third world countries (entire continent of Africa, South America, Central America, Antarctica, to name just a few). I'd also mention to the examiner the use of the weather radar in the "terrain mode", if so equipped. Bottom line is that you must positively ensure obstacle/terrain clearance at all times.

BBB

Good answer.

Give BBB a beer.

mar said:
Give BBB a beer.

Thanks mar ... something about, "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, then baffle 'em with bullsh*t!"

I really don't know the "right answer" ... curious how others might tackle it ...

BBB

If you got into the valley on an airway you can get out on an airway as well. You should have planned your flight accordingly.

My stab would be since an airway has a 6nm? width I'm good to go 3 miles either side of center. But if I could descend to MEA or MVA and break out, I'd call terrain in sight and "we can mantain our own terrain avoidance" and deviate. Or if I couldn't do any of the above I'd make a U-turn and boogie. What about an enroute hold to wait for weather? I'd throw all of those out there to let the guy know I was actively problem solving. Don't forget your two best friends....... the radio and your copilot. Either or both of them might have an answer you didn't consider.

Gup

I'd pull the mixtures to cutoff and let the backfiring engines blow the ice off the inlets, but only after I go to the back and throw a few hundred pounds of cargo out to lighten the load.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back